This notice is issued under section 191 of the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 (“Act”) and designates Maritime New Zealand as a designated agency for the purposes of performing functions and exercising powers under the Act in respect of the maritime sector.
1. Title—This notice is the Health and Safety at Work (Maritime New Zealand) Agency Designation 2015.
2. Commencement—This notice comes into force on 4 April 2016.
3. Interpretation—In this notice, unless the context otherwise requires:
Act means the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015;
MNZ means Maritime New Zealand;
ships does not include naval ships or ships of, or pertaining to, the Armed Forces.
4. Designation—(1) MNZ is designated as a designated agency under section 191 of the Act.
(2) MNZ may perform all the functions and exercise all the powers of the regulator under the Act in respect of:
- work on board ships; and
- ships as workplaces.
Dated at Wellington this 9th day of December 2015.
Rt Hon JOHN KEY, Prime Minister.
This note is for explanatory purposes only.
The purpose of this notice is to designate Maritime New Zealand (MNZ) as a designated agency for the purposes of performing functions and exercising powers under the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 in respect of the maritime sector. MNZ has been the designated agency for the maritime sector under the Health and Safety in Employment Act 1992, and this notice continues that designation under new health and safety legislation when it commences on 4 April 2016.