In accordance with section 9 of the Veterans’ Support Act 2014 (“Act”), I hereby give the following notice.
- I declare service in:
- the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan and the air space above it on or after 1 December 2001 to be operational service for the purposes of the Act, until declared otherwise.
- This declaration supersedes:
- the declaration of operational service made under the Veterans’ Support Act 2014 for service in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan and the air space above it between 1 December 2001 and 31 December 2016 (inclusive), made by me on 14 January 2016.
- This declaration covers:
- members of the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) serving with the NZDF;
- members of the NZDF on secondment with the armed forces of other nations; and
- any person seconded to the NZDF with the permission of the Chief of Defence Force.
- The persons covered by this declaration shall have access to the entitlements and services specified in the Act and the Veterans’ Support Regulations 2014.
- I am satisfied that there is a significant risk of harm to those that undertake this service, as required by the Act.
Dated this 13th day of October 2016.
Hon CRAIG FOSS, Minister of Veterans’ Affairs.