In accordance with section 9 of the Veterans’ Support Act 2014 (“Act”), I hereby give the following notice.
- I declare service in the Republic of Iraq and the air space above it during the following periods of time to be operational service for the purposes of the Act:
- between 1 November 2002 and 31 March 2003 (inclusive);
- between 1 May 2003 and 30 September 2004 (inclusive); and
- between 1 January 2005 and 31 October 2013 (inclusive).
- This declaration supersedes the declarations of emergency service under the War Pensions Act 1954 for service:
- as part of the United Nations Monitoring, Verification and Inspection Commission, which was made by the Honourable Nathan Guy on 25 June 2012; and
- as part of the United Nations Mine Action Service programme and Task Group Rake, which was made by the Honourable George Hawkins on 5 November 2003.
- This declaration covers:
- members of the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) serving with the NZDF;
- members of the NZDF on secondment with the armed forces of other nations; and
- any person seconded to the NZDF with the permission of the Chief of Defence Force.
- The persons covered by this declaration shall have access to the entitlements and services specified in the Act and the Veterans’ Support Regulations 2014.
- I am satisfied that there was a significant risk of harm to those that undertook this service, as required by the Act.
Dated this 14th day of January 2016.
Hon CRAIG FOSS, Minister of Veterans’ Affairs.