Pursuant to section 161D(1)(e) of the Climate Change Response Act 2002, I, The Honourable Paula Bennett, Minister for Climate Change Issues, give the following notice.
1. Title and commencement—(1) This notice may be cited as the Call for the Provision of Electricity-Related Contracts (Aluminium Smelting) Notice 2016.
(2) This notice takes effect from and including 12 May 2016.
2. Interpretation—Unless the context otherwise requires:
Act means the Climate Change Response Act 2002.
aluminium smelting has the meaning given to it in the Climate Change (Eligible Industrial Activities) Regulations 2010.
NZAS means the company registered as New Zealand Aluminium Smelters Limited.
smelter means the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter owned and operated by NZAS, located at Tiwai Point near Invercargill.
3. Electricity-related contracts required to be provided—Provided NZAS is carrying out aluminium smelting at the date of this notice, NZAS must provide the Ministry for the Environment, within 30 working days of the date of this notice, a copy of the following:
- The Electricity Amendment Agreement (No. 2) dated 31 July 2015 between Meridian Energy Limited and NZAS; and
- any information or explanation of matters relevant to the agreement referred to in paragraph 3(a) which will assist in a determination by the Minister for Climate Change Issues of an allocative baseline for NZAS pursuant to the Act (for the avoidance of doubt, this information may be provided in summary form in a newly created document rather than providing all source documentation for the calculations).
Dated at Wellington this 6th day of May 2016.
Hon PAULA BENNETT, Minister for Climate Change Issues.