Pursuant to section 170 of the Education Act 1989 (“Act”), the Minister for Tertiary Education, Skills and Employment hereby gives the following notice.
This notice may be cited as the Te Mana Whakahaere o Awanuiārangi Constitution Notice 2016.
The 2003 Deed of Settlement (“deed”) between Te Whare Wānanga o Awanuiārangi and the Crown acknowledged and recorded the development of a partnership agreement setting out the principles to guide that relationship. The intention of the deed is to enhance the mutual commitment of a constructive future relationship between Te Whare Wānanga o Awanuiārangi and the Crown, in terms of Te Tiriti o Waitangi. It is on this basis that the constitution of the Council of Te Whare Wānanga o Awanuiārangi (“Te Mana Whakahaere o Awanuiārangi”) has been agreed.
- Te Mana Whakahaere o Awanuiārangi shall be composed of up to a total of 12 members, consisting of:
- four members appointed by the Minister; and
- eight members appointed by Te Mana Whakahaere o Awanuiārangi in accordance with its statutes established under section 171C of the Act.
- Subject to clause 2(b), and in accordance with clause 1 of this notice and sections 171D and 173 of the Act, appointments to Te Mana Whakahaere o Awanuiārangi shall be for not less than one year and not more than four years. The number of occasions on which a person may be appointed as a member of Te Mana Whakahaere o Awanuiārangi is the number that, for that person, ensures that the total period for which they are a member does not exceed 16 years.
- Any person who is a member of Te Mana Whakahaere o Awanuiārangi at the date of this notice may be appointed on the number of occasions provided for in clause 2(a) or the number of occasions which allows them to remain on Te Mana Whakahaere o Awanuiārangi until 31 May 2020, whichever is the greater.
- This constitution shall be established when notice is published in the New Zealand Gazette. The constitution will come into effect on 1 June 2016. This notice will replace the previous constitution established in the notice titled Te Whare Wananga o Awanuiarangi Constitution Notice 1997, as published in the New Zealand Gazette, 21 August 1997, No. 99, page 2326.
Dated at Wellington this 4th day of April 2016.
Hon STEVEN JOYCE, Minister for Tertiary Education, Skills and Employment.