Pursuant to section 62(1)(a) of the Ngāti Apa ki te Rā Tō, Ngāti Kuia, and Rangitāne o Wairau Claims Settlement Act 2014 (“the Act”), the Minister of Conservation hereby notifies that the area described in the Schedule hereto has been declared to be subject to an overlay classification known as Lakes Rotoiti and Rotoroa, Nelson Lakes National Park by section 54 of the Act.
The provisions of the Act which relate to Lakes Rotoiti and Rotoroa, Nelson Lakes National Park overlay classification are sections 53–71.
Pursuant to section 62(1)(b) of the Act, the Minister hereby notifies that the following protection principles are directed at the Minister of Conservation avoiding harm to, or the diminishing of, the Rangitāne o Wairau values related to Lakes Rotoiti and Rotoroa, Nelson Lakes National Park:
- Protection of and respect for wāhi tapu, indigenous flora and fauna and the wider environment at Lakes Rotoiti and Rotoroa;
- recognition of the mana, kaitiakitanga and tikanga of Rangitāne at Lakes Rotoiti and Rotoroa;
- respect for Rangitāne tikanga at Lakes Rotoiti and Rotoroa;
- recognition and respect for Rangitāne’s particular association with Lakes Rotoiti and Rotoroa;
- accurate portrayal of Rangitāne associations with Lakes Rotoiti and Rotoroa; and
- recognition of Rangitāne’s significant spiritual and physical relationship with Lakes Rotoiti and Rotoroa.
Nelson Land District—Tasman District
Lake Rotoiti and Lake Rotoroa, Nelson Lakes National Park on plan OTS-099-31.
Dated at Wellington this 21st day of January 2015.
Hon MAGGIE BARRY, onzm, Minister of Conservation.
(DOC TWS-04-36 CNSS-1)