Pursuant to section 65(1)(a) of the Ngāti Kōata, Ngāti Rārua, Ngāti Tama ki Te Tau Ihu, and Te Ātiawa o Te Waka-a-Māui Claims Settlement Act 2014 (“the Act”), the Minister of Conservation hereby notifies that the area described in the Schedule hereto has been declared to be subject to an overlay classification known as kahukiwi by section 56 of the Act.
The provisions of the Act which relate to kahukiwi are sections 56–74.
Pursuant to section 65(1)(b) of the Act, the Minister hereby notifies that the following protection principles are directed at the Minister of Conservation avoiding harm to, or the diminishing of Te Ātiawa o Te Waka-a-Māui values related to The Brothers:
- protection of wāhi tapu, indigenous flora and fauna and the wider environment within The Brothers;
- recognition of the mana, kaitiakitanga and tikanga of Te Ātiawa o Te Waka-a-Māui over, and within The Brothers;
- respect for Te Ātiawa o Te Waka-a-Māui as kaitiaki over The Brothers mahinga kai and other traditional resources;
- respect for Te Ātiawa o Te Waka-a-Māui tikanga / kawa in regard to The Brothers;
- respect for the association of Te Ātiawa o Te Waka-a-Māui with The Brothers;
- recognition of the relationship of Te Ātiawa o Te Waka-a-Māui with their wāhi tapu and wāhi taonga and sites of significance; and
- recognition of and respect for the relationship of Te Ātiawa o Te Waka-a-Māui with the Tuatara; and protection of the Tuatara and respect for the involvement of Te Ātiawa o Te Waka-a-Māui with the Tuatara as kaitiaki.
Marlborough Land District—Marlborough District
|12.0773||The Brothers; as shown on plan OTS-202-38 being Crown Land Block XXII Gore Survey District SO 4903.|
Dated at Wellington this 16th day of February 2015.
Hon MAGGIE BARRY, onzm, Minister of Conservation.
(DOC TWS-04-37 CNSS-1)