Pursuant to section 288(1)(ha) of the Customs and Excise Act 1996, the Chief Executive of the New Zealand Customs Service hereby makes the following rules prescribing the form of application for registration as a Joint Border Managment System (JBMS) user.
1. Title, Commencement, Application and Purpose
(1) These rules may be cited as the Customs (Application for JBMS User Registration) Rules 2015.
(2) These rules shall come into force on 26 March 2015.
(3) These rules shall apply for the purposes of prescribing the form of application for registration as a user of the JBMS and the information to be provided in support of the application.
In these rules, unless the context otherwise requires:
(a) The term “the Act” means the Customs and Excise Act 1996.
(b) Any terms used in these rules which are defined in section 2 of the Act shall have the meanings given to them by that section.
(c) “Trade Single Window” or “TSW” means a computer system that forms part of the JBMS.
(d) “Lodgement” means any entry or cargo report required by the Act to be made in relation to the importation or exportation of goods, or the arrival or departure of craft.
(e) Any reference to the submission of lodgements may refer to transmission via TSW or any other approved form of transmission.
3. Form of Application
(1) An application to be registered as a JBMS user shall be made in the following form:
(a) In respect of any individual ordinarily resident in New Zealand who intends to submit lodgements to the JBMS, in Form C10 as set out in Schedule 3; or
(b) in respect of any individual ordinarily resident in New Zealand who intends to submit information to JBMS through Trade Single Window but who does not otherwise intend to submit lodgements to the JBMS, Form C9A as set out in Schedule 2.
(2) In addition to the forms required under subclause (1) to this rule, Form C9 as set out in Schedule 1 must be completed in Trade Single Window online by:
(a) any individual applying to be a JBMS user of a type described in subclause (1)(a), where that individual intends to submit lodgements to JBMS through the Trade Single Window online interface;
(b) all individuals applying to be a JBMS user of a type described in subclause (1)(b).
4. Supporting Documentation
(1) In respect of an application made under rule 3(1)(a), the following documents must be supplied:
(a) The birth certificate of the applicant; and
(b) a passport, or New Zealand driver’s licence, or any other form of identification bearing a photo of the applicant that is acceptable to the chief executive as a comparable form of identification; and
(c) if the applicant is making the application in a name that is different from that on his or her birth certificate, the applicant must provide:
(i) a marriage certificate;
(ii) a dissolution of marriage order;
(iii) a deed poll of change of name; or
(iv) any other comparable evidence of identity that is acceptable to the chief executive as evidence of the identity of the applicant.
(2) In respect of an application made under rule 3(1)(b), the applicant must supply a copy of the applicant’s passport or driver’s licence, or any other form of identification bearing a photo of the applicant that is acceptable to the chief executive as a comparable form of identification.
(3) If any form of personal identification required by subclauses (1) and (2) of this rule is not written in English, the applicant must provide an English translation of the personal identification, certified by a translator nominated by the chief executive.
The Customs (Application for JBMS User Registration) Rules 2014* are revoked.
Where any prescribed form contains any explanatory or other notes such notes do not form part of the prescription but are intended for the guidance of the person in the completion of a report.
Dated at Auckland this 20th day of February 2015.
CAROLYN TREMAIN, Chief Executive.
Notice Under Section 288(7) of the Act
Copies of these rules are available for inspection on the Customs Service website at
or at any of the following Customs Offices:
50 Anzac Avenue, Auckland Central, Auckland 1010
1 Hinemoa Street, Harbour Quays, Wellington 6011
6 Orchard Road, Christchurch Airport, Christchurch 8053
32 Portsmouth Drive, South Dunedin, Dunedin 9012
Copies of these rules may be purchased from the New Zealand Customs Service, Private Bag 1928, Dunedin 9054.