Pursuant to section 146 of the Education Act 1989 (“the Act”), I hereby establish a Year 11–13 co-educational secondary school located in Rototuna, Hamilton, initially to be known as Rototuna Senior High School.
The school will open for instruction from the start of term one of 2017. The school may enrol:
- Year 11 students from 2017;
- Year 12 students from 2018; and
- Year 13 students from 2019.
Pursuant to section 110 of the Act, I hereby establish a combined board of trustees for Rototuna Junior High School and the above Rototuna Senior High School by appointing the existing Rototuna Junior High School establishment board of trustees as the establishment board of trustees for Rototuna Senior High School.
Dated at Wellington this 6th day of July 2015.
Hon HEKIA PARATA, Minister of Education.
The Minister of Education must, when considering whether to establish a combined board of trustees, be satisfied that:
- each of the boards of trustees concerned has made reasonable efforts to consult the parents of students (other than adult students) enrolled full-time at its school or schools (or institution or institutions) about combining with the other boards; and
- the consultation that has in fact taken place has been adequate in all the circumstances;
- the proposed combined board of trustees is appropriate in all the circumstances.
Under these unique circumstances, there is only one board concerned (the Rototuna Junior High School establishment board of trustees), and there are currently no students enrolled at either school. Consultation about a combined board of trustees was undertaken with the community at the same time as the consultation about the establishment of both schools. Trustees for the board of Rototuna Junior High School were appointed in the knowledge that a combined board would be recommended once Rototuna Senior High School was established.