- Under section 38(3)(b) of the Electricity Industry Act 2010, and having complied with section 39 of that Act, the Electricity Authority gives notice of making the Electricity Industry Participation Code Amendment (Industrial Co-generation Dispatch Arrangements) 2015 (“amendment”).
- The amendment comes into force on 27 May 2015.
- The amendment establishes two categories of co-generators, type A co-generators and type B co-generators, with different obligations associated with each. Existing co-generators will be deemed to be type A co-generators. Type A co-generators will continue to operate under the current offer, dispatch, and pricing rules. Type B co-generators will be treated in the same way as intermittent generators for dispatch and pricing purposes.
- For example:
- type B co-generators will not be required to comply with dispatch instructions except for security purposes:
- the dispatch setpoint for type B co-generators will be based on their current output:
- type B co-generator offers will be removed from the real-time dispatch schedule and replaced by administrative offers based on the actual metered output:
- type B co-generator offers will also be removed from final pricing and other ex post pricing schedules and replaced by a negative load equal to their actual metered output:
- type B co-generators will be required to supply metering information measuring their generation output to the pricing manager and the grid owner.
- The amendment also makes a number of changes to the application process for co-generators under Schedule 13.4 to reflect the new types of co-generator.
- A copy of the amendment and the Electricity Industry Participation Code 2010 (“Code”) is available on the Electricity Authority’s website
- A copy of the amendment and the Code may also be inspected free of charge or purchased from the Electricity Authority, Level 7, ASB Bank Tower, 2 Hunter Street, Wellington.
Dated at Wellington this 16th day of February 2015.
Dr THOMAS BRENT LAYTON, Chairperson, Electricity Authority.