Pursuant to section 170 of the Education Act 1989 (“the Act”), the Minister for Tertiary Education gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. This notice may be cited as the Amendment to the Constitution of the University of Auckland Notice 2015.
2. This notice shall come into force on the day after the date of its publication in the New Zealand Gazette.
3. The Council of the University of Auckland (“the Council”) shall, from 1 January 2016, be constituted as follows:
(a) Four persons appointed by the relevant Minister;
(b) one person, being Māori and able to advise the Council on issues relevant to Māori, appointed by the Council following a call for expressions of interest from iwi and other Māori individuals or groups;
(c) the Vice-Chancellor by virtue of his/her holding office as the Chief Executive Officer of the University of Auckland;
(d) one person being a permanent member of the academic staff of the University of Auckland elected by the permanent members of that staff;
(e) one person being a permanent member of the professional staff of the University of Auckland elected by the permanent members of that staff;
(f) one person being the person elected by the student body to be President of the Auckland University Students’ Association Inc or its successor association;
(g) one person being an alumnus of the University of Auckland appointed by the Council following a call for expressions of interest from alumni; and
(h) two persons able to provide skills specified by the Council to be appointed by the University of Auckland Council following a call for expressions of interest.
4. Prior to calling for nominations or expressions of interest, the Council shall publish a statement of the skills and experiences it is seeking from members to be so appointed.
5. With the exception of the Vice-Chancellor, each person may be appointed, elected or co‑opted as a member of the Council under the foregoing provisions for any period of not more than four years, and for no more than three such periods. In such cases where a person is a member of the Council on 31 December 2015, and has not completed their current term, they may serve up to four periods of no more than four years each.
Dated at Wellington this 29th day of July 2015.
Hon STEVEN JOYCE, Minister for Tertiary Education.