Pursuant to section 170 of the Education Act 1989 (“the Act”), the Minister for Tertiary Education gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. (1) This notice may be cited as the Constitution of Massey University Council Notice 2015.
(2) This notice shall come into force on 1 January 2016.
(3) This notice will replace the previous constitution established in 2013.
2. The Massey University Council (“the Council”) shall comprise 12 members and be constituted to ensure that appointments meet the needs of Massey University and the sound governance of the institution as follows:
(a) Four members appointed by the Minister responsible for Part 13A of the Education Act 1989;
(b) the Vice-Chancellor of Massey University, by virtue of the position;
(c) one permanent member of the academic staff of Massey University appointed by the Council following an election (conducted in accordance with Statutes made by the Council) by the permanent members of that staff;
(d) one permanent member of the professional (general) staff of Massey University appointed by the Council following an election (conducted in accordance with Statutes made by the Council) by the permanent members of that staff;
(e) one member who must be appointed following an election (conducted in accordance with Statutes made by the Council) by students enrolled at Massey University; and
(f) up to four members appointed by the Massey University Council on the nomination of the Vice-Chancellor in accordance with Statutes established under section 171C of the Education Act 1989 that will ensure that at least one of these members shall be Māori.
3. The term of office of members of the Council, vacation of office, disclosure of members’ interest and casual vacancies are covered in sections 173–176 of the Education Act 1989.
4. Subject to section 173, the maximum number of occasions on which a person, other than the Vice-Chancellor, may be appointed as a member of the Council is the number that, for that person, ensures that the total period for which they are a member of the Council does not exceed 12 years.
5. No act or proceeding of the Massey University Council shall be invalidated by the vacancy in the membership thereof, or by any other matter referred to in section 171F of the Education Act 1989.
Dated at Wellington this 29th day of July 2015.
Hon STEVEN JOYCE, Minister for Tertiary Education.