In accordance with section 11 of the Electricity Industry Act 2010 (“Act”), the Electricity Authority gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement—(1) This notice is the Electricity Industry (Exemption No. 227 (Giving Energy Limited)) Exemption Notice 2015.
(2) This notice comes into force on the day after the date it is notified in the New Zealand Gazette.
2. Exemption—Giving Energy Limited (“Giving Energy”) is exempted from complying with the obligation in clause 15.38(1) of the Electricity Industry Participation Code 2010 (“Code”) to obtain and maintain certification as a reconciliation participant, in respect of performing the functions specified in clause 15.38(1)(a), (b), (c)(i), (d), (da), (db), and (e).
3. Term—This exemption expires at the close of 31 October 2015.
4. Reasons for granting the exemption—The reasons for granting this exemption are:
- granting the exemption meets the requirements in section 11(2) of the Act for granting exemptions;
- the exemption is only needed for a short period of time;
- the exemption will assist a small new entrant retailer to enter the market, which could lead to increased competition for the long-term benefit of consumers;
- the exemption will ensure Giving Energy’s ISO audit is meaningful; and
- the exemption will have little or no impact on any other participant or service providers, and will not affect any other Code provision.
Dated at Wellington this 10th day of April 2015.
For and on behalf of the Electricity Authority:
Hon ROGER SOWRY, onzm, Member, Electricity Authority.