Pursuant to section 25(1)(a) of the Ngāti Manawa Claims Settlement Act 2012, the Minister of Conservation hereby notifies that the area described in the Schedule hereto has been declared to be subject to an overlay classification known as Ahikāroa by section 20 of the Act.
The provisions of the Act which relate to Ahikāroa are sections 20–33.
Pursuant to section 25(1)(b) of the Act, the Minister hereby notifies that the following protection principles are directed at Te Urewera Board and the Minister of Conservation avoiding harm to, or the diminishing of, the Ngāti Manawa values related to Tāwhiuau:
- Protection of wāhi tapu, indigenous flora and fauna and the wider environment within Tāwhiuau;
- recognition of the mana, kaitiakitanga and tikanga of Ngāti Manawa with regard to Tāwhiuau;
- respect for Ngāti Manawa tikanga in regard to Tāwhiuau, including the historical, social, cultural and spiritual significance of the maunga to Ngāti Manawa;
- encouragement of respect for the association of Ngāti Manawa with their sacred maunga, Tāwhiuau;
- accurate portrayal of the association of Ngāti Manawa with Tāwhiuau; and
- recognition of the relationship of Ngāti Manawa with the wāhi tapu and wāhi whakahirahira.
South Auckland Land District—Whakatane District
|2325.1500||Tāwhiuau as shown on plan OTS-076-023 being part Urewera A.|
Dated at Wellington this 6th day of November 2014.
Hon MAGGIE BARRY, Minister of Conservation.
(DOC CO TWS-04-16 TWWG-2)