Pursuant to section 161D(1)(e) of the Climate Change Response Act 2002, I, The Honourable Tim Groser, Minister for Climate Change Issues, give the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement—(1) This notice may be cited as the Call for the Provision of Electricity Contract Related Information (Aluminium Smelting) Notice 2014.
(2) This notice takes effect from and including 11 December 2014.
2. Interpretation—Unless the context otherwise requires:
aluminium smelting has the meaning given to it in the Climate Change (Eligible Industrial Activities) Regulations 2010.
amended electricity contract means the electricity-related contract between New Zealand Aluminium Smelters and Meridian Energy Limited that applied from 1 July 2013.
NZAS means the company registered as New Zealand Aluminium Smelters Limited.
prior electricity contracts means electricity-related contracts in force prior to 1 July 2013.
3. Electricity contract related information required to be provided—(1) NZAS must provide the Ministry for the Environment, within 30 working days of the date of this notice, with the information specified in paragraphs 3(3)(a) to 3(3)(d) of this notice.
(2) NZAS must provide the information specified in paragraphs 3(3)(a) to 3(3)(d) in respect of the activity of aluminium smelting and for the period 1 April 2009 to 31 December 2015.
NZAS must provide actual values for historic time periods where such information is known.
For time periods in the future, or where such actual information is not known, NZAS must provide its best estimate of the most likely values as at the date of this notice.
(3) NZAS must provide:
- the total amount of electricity consumed (in GWh) by NZAS each month under NZAS’s prior electricity contracts;
- the total amount of electricity consumed (in GWh) by NZAS each month under NZAS’s amended electricity contract, identifying the contract period provisions of the purchases;
- the total amount of electricity consumed (in GWh) by NZAS each month that was purchased on the electricity spot market or purchased under any electricity supply contract other than the prior electricity contract or the amended electricity contract; and
- any other changes to contract parameters relevant to determining the NZAS allocative baseline, including whether NZAS has entered into any other electricity supply contracts whose term extends beyond two years from the date of this notice.
4. NZAS may provide any additional information that it believes will assist the Minister in making a determination.
Dated at Wellington this 4th day of December 2014.
Hon TIM GROSER, Minister for Climate Change Issues.