1. Notice to the Science Board—(1) In this notice, I specify under section 10(3)(b) of the Research, Science and Technology Act 2010 how much specified Research, Science and Technology funding is available, and the eligibility criteria and other requirements that must be met, for the Science Board to allocate funding for Smart Ideas in the 2015 science investment round.
(2) Smart Ideas is described in the notice entitled “Criteria for Proposals for Science-led Contestable Funding” published in the New Zealand Gazette, 30 October 2014, Notice No. 2014-go6681.
2. Scope—Research, Science and Technology funding is available for Smart Ideas in the 2015 science investment round from the research funds described in the notice entitled “Establishment of Innovation Board and Science Board and Other Related Notices Pursuant to the Research, Science, and Technology Act 2010” under the heading “Description of Funds within Vote RS&T”, published in the Supplement to the New Zealand Gazette, 31 January 2011, No. 9, page 200, and set out below:
- Biological Industries;
- High-Value Manufacturing and Services;
- Energy and Minerals;
- Hazards and Infrastructure; and
- Health and Society.
3. Eligibility—To be eligible for funding under Smart Ideas, proposals must:
- be to undertake research, science, or technology, or related activities that are in an area specified under the heading Nature of Fund and are in accordance with the objectives, for one or more of the research funds set out in clause 2 above;
- for Smart Ideas Phase 2, be based on a Smart Ideas Phase 1 contract which will expire on 30 September 2015; and
- meet any applicable eligibility criteria set out in the notice entitled “Criteria for Proposals for Science-led Contestable Funding” referred to in clause 1(2) above.
4. Investment Priorities—There will be no investment priorities for the allocation of Smart Ideas funding.
5. Funding Available for Smart Ideas in the 2015 Science Investment Round—(1) The indicative funding available for allocation to Smart Ideas proposals in total is $11.5 million, excluding GST, per annum. Within this total, or any modified total resulting from the application of clause 5.2, the Science Board may allocate funding within the following limits:
- for Smart Ideas Phase 1, up to $12 million, excluding GST, per annum; and
- for Smart Ideas Phase 2, up to $2 million, excluding GST, per annum.
(2) The Science Board may re-distribute available funding between Smart Ideas and Targeted Research in order to achieve a more appropriate mix of investments, as set out in the notice entitled “Criteria for Proposals for Science-led Contestable Funding” referred to in clause 1.(2) of this notice.
Dated at Wellington this 28th day of October 2014.
Hon STEVEN JOYCE, Minister of Science and Innovation.