Pursuant to Regulation 32(1)(k) of the Radiocommunications Regulations 2001 ("the Regulations"), and acting under delegated authority from the Chief Executive of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, I give the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Short title and commencement-(1) This notice is the Radiocommunications Regulations (Minimum Field Strength) Notice 2014.
(2) This notice comes into force on 16 October 2014.
2. Revocations-The Radiocommunications Regulations (Minimum Field Strength) Notice 2003*, dated the 26th day of November 2003, is hereby revoked.
3. Minimum Field Strength-The following minimum field strengths shall apply:
Band Minimum Field Strength Reference
AM Sound Broadcasting (525 - 1605 kHz) 66 dB (æV/m) in all areas - Daytime protection GE-75, section 4.6; Nominal usable field strength
AM Sound Broadcasting (525 - 1605 kHz) 74 dB (æV/m) in all areas - Night-time protection GE-75, section 4.6; Nominal usable field strength
FM Sound Broadcasting (88 - 108 MHz) 66 dB (æV/m) in all areas ITU-R recommendation BS.412-9
Digital Television Broadcasting
(510 - 686 MHz) 48 dB (æV/m) in all areas ITU-R recommendation BT.1368-11, Annex 2
In the Reference list:
GE-75 means the regional agreement concerning the use by the broadcasting services of frequencies in the medium frequency bands in regions 1 and 3 as signed in Geneva in 1975; and
ITU-R recommendation means the reports and recommendations of the Radiocommunication Sector of the International Telecommunication Union as adopted from time to time by the study groups or assemblies of the sector; and includes, to the extent adopted by New Zealand:
(a) any amendments or additions to any such reports or recommendations; and
(b) any reports or recommendations adopted in substitution for any such reports or recommendations.
Dated at Auckland this Wednesday, the 15th day of October 2014.
CHRIS BRENNAN, Manager Radio Spectrum Management Compliance, Resources Energy and Communications, Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.
This note is not part of the notice, but is intended to indicate its general effect. This notice:
1. prescribes, for the purpose of Regulation 35 of the Regulations, the minimum field strengths applicable to AM and FM sound broadcasting reception and digital television broadcasting reception;
2. comes into effect on 16 October 2014;
3. supersedes, and revokes, the existing Radiocommunications Regulations (Minimum Field Strength) Notice 2003*;
4. includes values for digital television reception;
5. removes value for analogue television reception.
* New Zealand Gazette, 4 December 2003, No. 166, page 4608