Pursuant to section 11 of the Electricity Industry Act 2010 (“Act”), the Electricity Authority gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement—(1) This notice is the Electricity Industry (Exemption No. 218 (Electric Kiwi Limited)) Exemption Notice 2014.
(2) This notice comes into force on the day after the date it is notified in the New Zealand Gazette.
2. Exemption—Electric Kiwi Limited (“Electric Kiwi”) is exempted from complying with the obligation in clause 15.38 of the Electricity Industry Participation Code 2010 (“Code”) to obtain and maintain certification.
3. Term—This exemption expires at the earlier of:
- the close of 1 June 2015;
- Electric Kiwi being responsible for more than 50 installation control points (“ICPs”); and
- Electric Kiwi being responsible for an ICP with a metering installation category of 3, 4 or 5.
4. Reasons for granting the exemption—The reasons for granting this exemption are:
- granting the exemption meets the requirements in section 11(2) of the Act for granting exemptions;
- the exemption is only needed on a short-term basis;
- granting the exemption will assist a small new entrant retailer to enter the market, which could lead to increased competition for the long-term benefit of consumers;
- Electric Kiwi will not have sufficient data to make an audit required for certification meaningful as some processes and procedures will not have been used in production; and
- due to the small number of ICPs involved, the exemption will have little or no impact on other participants and service providers, and will not affect any other Code provisions.
Dated at Wellington this 27th day of November 2014.
For and on behalf of the Electricity Authority:
Hon ROGER SOWRY, onzm, Member, Electricity Authority.