Pursuant to sections 25B and 66A of the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act 1996 ("the Act"), the Environmental Protection Authority gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title-This notice is the Hazardous Substances (Disposal of Persistent Organic Pollutants) Notice 2014.
2. Commencement-This notice comes into force on
26 June 2014.
3. Purpose-The purpose of this notice is to extend
the definition of environmentally sound disposal beyond the definition provided in the Hazardous Substances (Disposal of Persistent Organic Pollutants) Notice 2004.
4. Interpretation-In this notice, environmentally sound disposal in relation to a persistent organic pollutant
means disposal in accordance with clause 5 of the Hazardous Substances (Disposal of Persistent Organic Pollutants) Notice 2004, as well as disposal in accordance with clause 5(a) of this notice.
5. Disposal of persistent organic pollutants-For the purposes of section 66A of the Act, the following method shall comprise environmentally sound disposal of persistent organic pollutants:
(a) by importing the substance to New Zealand for subsequent export from New Zealand as waste
for environmentally sound disposal provided that such export complies with the relevant requirements
of the Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and their Disposal, the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants and the OECD Decision C(2001)107 on the Control of Transboundary Movement of Wastes Destined for Recovery Operations.
Dated this 26th day of June 2014.
ILANA BURTON Applications Manager (Hazardous Substances), Ministry for Primary Industries (acting under delegated authority).