Pursuant to section 12 of the Health Practitioners Competence Assurance Act 2003, this notice is issued by the Dental Council.
The following prescribed qualifications replace the prescribed qualifications for the Scope of Practice for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Specialists published in the New Zealand Gazette, 15 March 2012, No. 33, page 1016.
Specialist Scopes of Practice
Scope of Practice for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Specialists
- MDS/MBChB (Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery), University of Otago; or
- DClinDent (Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery), University of Otago1; or
- an ADC accredited MDS or MDSc or DClinDent in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery from an ADC accredited Australian University; and a medical degree from a medical school listed in the WHO World Directory of Medical Schools or the ECFMG Faimer Directory; or
- Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons (Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery)2; or
- registration in oral and maxillofacial surgery with the General Medical Council, UK; or
- Board certification in oral and maxillofacial surgery in a USA or Canadian state and possession of a medical degree from a medical school listed in the WHO World Directory of Medical Schools or the ECFMG Faimer Directory and dental degree; or
- two years or more of full time equivalent postgraduate training in the specialty at a recognised tertiary academic institution or equivalent; and evidence of research activity; and a pass in the New Zealand Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Specialist Examination.
1Entry criteria require completed undergraduate dentistry and medical degrees.
2Conferred from 15 March 2012.