Pursuant to Regulations 23 and 25 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the Minister for Primary Industries and the Director-General of the Ministry for Primary Industries give the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title-This notice may be cited as the Fisheries (Declaration and Notification of Te Puna Mataitai Reserve and Appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki) Notice 2013.
2. Commencement-This notice shall come into effect
on the 28th day after the date of its notification in the
New Zealand Gazette.
3. Interpretation-In this notice:
(a) "mataitai reserve" means the identified traditional fishing ground described in clause 4 of this notice.
(b) "Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki" means any person or persons appointed as Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki for the mataitai reserve under Regulation 24 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
4. Declaration of a mataitai reserve-The Minister for Primary Industries declares a mataitai reserve over all fisheries waters enclosed by a line:
(a) commencing at a point on the mean high water mark (MHWM) west of Cape Wiwiki (at 35ø09.18'S and 174ø06.72'E); then
(b) proceeding in a straight line in an easterly direction for approximately 1.9km to a point on an offshore rock (at 35ø09.12'S and 174ø08.05'E); then
(c) proceeding in a straight line in an easterly direction to a point on Ninepin Island (at 35ø09.16'S and 174ø08.25'E); then
(d) proceeding in a straight line in a south-westerly direction to a point offshore east of Moturoa Island (at 35ø12.73'S and 174ø06.84'E); then
(e) proceeding in a straight line in a westerly direction to the eastern most point on the MHWM of Moturoa Island (at 35ø12.67'S and 174ø06.36'E); then
(f) proceeding in a generally westerly direction along the MHWM of the south coast of Moturoa Island to the western most point on the MHWM of Moturoa Island (at 35ø12.53'S and 174ø04.49'E); then
(g) proceeding in a straight line in a north-westerly direction to a point on the MHWM at Poraenui Point (at 35ø11.57'S and 174ø04.09'E); and then
(h) proceeding in a generally north-easterly direction along the MHWM to the point of commencement.
5. Appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki-The Director-General names Hugh Rihari, Waata Rameka, Arena Munro, Whakaaropai Rihari, Bonnie Craven, Richard Civil, Arthur Ashby, Monica Ashby, Te Atareria Rameka, Mana Paul and Whakaiti Beau Heihei as Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki for the mataitai reserve.
6. Prohibition on commercial fishing-Commercial fishing within the mataitai reserve is prohibited under Regulation 27(2) of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
7. Power to authorise taking of fisheries resources for customary food-gathering-The Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki may authorise any individual to take fish, aquatic life or seaweed for customary food-gathering purposes from within the whole or any part of the mataitai reserve. No fishing for customary food-gathering purposes may take place in the mataitai reserve without authorisation from the Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki.
Dated at Wellington this 24th day of June 2013.
HON NATHAN GUY, Minister for Primary Industries.
JAMES STEVENSON-WALLACE, Director Fisheries Management, acting under delegated authority from the Director-General, Ministry for Primary Industries.