Pursuant to section 93 of the Waste Minimisation Act 2008 ("the Act"), the Minister for the Environment is seeking nominations for potential Waste Advisory Board members.
The function of the board is to provide advice, upon request, to the Minister for the Environment on waste minimisation, including advice on:
- products to be declared a "priority product" under the Act (for which an accredited product stewardship scheme will be required);
- guidelines about the contents and expected effects of product stewardship schemes for priority products;
- accrediting a product stewardship scheme not consistent with published guidelines;
- Regulations prohibiting the sale of a priority product except in accordance with an accredited scheme;
- Regulations in relation to products, materials and waste;
- criteria for approving funding of a project from waste disposal levy funds;
- reviewing the effectiveness of the waste disposal levy;
- Regulations in relation to the imposition or rate of the waste disposal levy; and
- Regulations in relation to records, information and reports.
In appointing board members, the Minister must consider the need for the board to have available from its members, knowledge, skills and experience relating to:
- the Waste Minimisation Act 2008;
- matters that are likely to come before the board;
- community projects for waste minimisation;
- business/industry, including the commercial waste industry;
- local government; and
- tikanga Maori.
The term of the appointment is three years, or any shorter term stated in the notice of appointment.
Board members are entitled to fees as set by the Minister and reimbursement for actual and reasonable expenses.
Nominations should be made using the nomination form available for download on the Ministry for the Environment website at
All nominations will be forwarded to the Minister for the Environment for consideration.
Nominations close at 5.00pm on Monday 27 May 2013.
For further information refer to the Ministry for the Environment website at
or contact the Waste and Resources Team at the Ministry
for the Environment on telephone (04) 439 7400 or email email@example.com
Nominations can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or posted to Waste Advisory Board nominations, Ministry for the Environment, PO Box 10362, Wellington 6143.