Pursuant to Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the Director Maori Partnership Implementation at the Ministry for Primary Industries (acting pursuant to a delegated authority in accordance with section 41 of the State Sector Act 1988) gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement-(1) This notice may be cited as the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Notice (No. 6) 2013.
(2) This notice shall come into effect on 12 April 2013.
2. Interpretation-(1) In this notice:
"area/rohe moana" means the area described in clause 4(1).
(2) Terms used in this notice have the same meaning as in the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998 except for "Tangata Kaitiaki" which are local
dialect words that have the same meaning as "Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki".
3. Nomination of Tangata Kaitiaki-Te Runanga o Ngati Awa has nominated Joanne Herangi and Donna Tutua as Tangata Kaitiaki for managing customary food-gathering within the area/rohe moana.
4. Appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki-(1) On 24 March 2013, the Minister for Primary Industries confirmed, under Regulation 9(1) of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the appointment of Joanne Herangi and Donna Tutua as Tangata Kaitiaki for managing customary food-gathering within the area/rohe moana enclosed by a line:
(a) commencing on the coastline at a point north of Wahieroa (37°53.8'S 176°49.9'E); then
(b) proceeding northerly for 24 nautical miles to a point (37°29.8'S 176°47.0'E); then
(c) proceeding south-easterly to a point (37°34.4'S 177°00.7'E); then
(d) proceeding southerly for 24 nautical miles to a point on the coastline at the mouth of the Maraetotara Stream (37°58.3'S 177°03.7'E); then
(e) proceeding generally westerly along the mean
high-water springs mark to the point of commencement.
(2) The geographical coordinates used in paragraph
4(1)(a)-(e) are stated in terms of the WGS84 datum.
5. Confirmation of tangata whenua-Ngati Awa, as represented by Te Runanga o Ngati Awa, is confirmed as the tangata whenua of the area/rohe moana to which the appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki relates.
6. Power to authorise the taking of fisheries resources for customary food-gathering-Tangata Kaitiaki appointed for the area/rohe moana may authorise any individual to take fisheries resources, managed under the Fisheries Act 1996, for customary food-gathering purposes from within the whole or any part of the area/rohe moana. No customary food-gathering of fisheries resources may take place in the area/rohe moana without an authorisation from a Tangata Kaitiaki.
Dated at Wellington this 8th day of April 2013.
KELLY DUNN, Director Maori Partnership Implementation, Ministry for Primary Industries (acting under delegated authority).