Pursuant to Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the Director Maori Partnership Implementation at the Ministry for Primary Industries (acting pursuant to a delegated authority in accordance with section 41 of the State Sector Act 1988) gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement-(1) This notice may be cited as the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Notice (No. 5) 2013.
(2) This notice shall come into effect on 29 March 2013.
2. Interpretation-(1) In this notice:
"area/rohe moana" means the area described in clause 4(1).
(2) Terms used in this notice have the same meaning as in the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998 except for "Kaitiaki" which is a local dialect word that has the same meaning as "Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki".
3. Nomination of Kaitiaki-The Papauma Maori Committee, acting for Te Hika o Papauma, has
nominated Paul Kingi Peeti as a Kaitiaki for managing customary food-gathering within the area/rohe moana.
4. Appointment of Kaitiaki-(1) On 24 March 2013,
the Minister for Primary Industries confirmed, under the Regulation 9(1) of Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the appointment of Paul Kingi Peeti as a Kaitiaki for managing customary food-gathering within the area/rohe moana enclosed by a line:
(a) commencing on the coastline at Owahanga (40?41.0?S 176?21.5'E); then
(b) proceeding east to the 12 nautical mile limit to reference point (40?47.5'S 176?24.5'E); then
(c) south-west along the 12 nautical mile limit to reference point (40°52.0'S 176°30.5'E); then
(d) north-west to Mataikona (40°47.0'S 176°16.0'E); then
(e) proceeding north-east along the mean high-water springs mark to the point of commencement.
(2) The geographical coordinates used in paragraph
4(1)(a)-(e) are in terms of the WGS84 datum.
5. Confirmation of tangata whenua-Te Hika o Papauma, as represented in respect of this appointment by the Papauma Maori Committee, is confirmed as the tangata whenua of the area/rohe moana to which the appointment
of the Kaitiaki relates.
6. Power to authorise the taking of fisheries resources for customary food-gathering-Kaitiaki appointed for
the area/rohe moana may authorise any individual to
take fisheries resources, managed under the Fisheries Act 1996, for customary food-gathering purposes from within the whole or any part of the area/rohe moana.
No customary food-gathering of fisheries resources may take place in the area/rohe moana without an authorisation from a Kaitiaki.
Dated at Wellington this 26th day of March 2013.
KELLY DUNN, Director Maori Partnership Implementation, Ministry for Primary Industries (acting under delegated authority).