Pursuant to Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the Director Maori Partnership Implementation at the Ministry for Primary Industries (acting pursuant to a delegated authority in accordance with section 41 of the State Sector Act 1988) gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement-(1) This notice may be cited as the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Notice (No. 3) 2013.
(2) This notice shall come into effect on 8 March 2013.
2. Interpretation-(1) In this notice, "area/rohe moana" means the area described in clause 4(1).
(2) Terms used in this notice have the same meaning as in the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998 except for "Tangata Kaitiaki" which are local
dialect words that have the same meaning as "Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki".
3. Nomination of Tangata Kaitiaki-Tauwhara Marae, with the support of Te Komiti Kaitiaki Whakature i Nga Taonga o Tangaroa acting for Nga Hapu o Taiamai ki
Te Marangi, has nominated Arvind Solomon as a Tangata Kaitiaki for managing customary food-gathering within the area/rohe moana described in clause 4(1).
4. Appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki-(1) On 11 February 2013, the Minister for Primary Industries confirmed, under Regulation 9(1) of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the appointment of Arvind Solomon as a Tangata Kaitiaki for managing customary food-gathering within the area/rohe moana enclosed by
(a) commencing at the mean high-water mark (MHWM) on the northern shore of Takou Bay (35°03.80'S 173°55.70'E); then
(b) proceeding along a straight line in a north-easterly direction to reference point (32°36.00'S 176°54.00'E) on the outer limit of the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ); then
(c) proceeding generally in a south-easterly direction along the outer limit of the EEZ to reference point (33°09.00'S 177°39.00'E); then
(d) proceeding in a straight line in south-westerly direction to reference point (35°13.34'S 174°05.73'E); then
(e) proceeding in a southerly direction to reference point (35°16.88'S 174°06.31'E); then
(f) proceeding in a southerly direction to the southern headland of the entrance to the Haumi River (35°17.86'S 174°06.19'E); then
(g) along the MHWM to the point of commencement.
(2) The geographical coordinates used in paragraph
4(1)(a)-(g) are stated in terms of the WGS84 datum.
5. Confirmation of tangata whenua-Nga Hapu o Taiamai ki Te Marangi is confirmed as the tangata whenua of
the area/rohe moana to which the appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki relates.
6. Power to authorise the taking of fisheries resources for customary food-gathering-Tangata Kaitiaki appointed for the area/rohe moana may authorise any individual to take fisheries resources, managed under the Fisheries Act 1996, for customary food-gathering purposes from within the whole or any part of the area/rohe moana. No customary food-gathering of fisheries resources may take place in the area/rohe moana without an authorisation from a Tangata Kaitiaki.
Dated at Wellington this 1st day of March 2013.
KELLY DUNN, Director Maori Partnership Implementation, Ministry for Primary Industries.