Pursuant to Regulation 10 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the Director Maori Partnership Implementation at the Ministry for Primary Industries (acting pursuant to a delegated authority in accordance with section 41 of the State Sector Act 1988) gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement-(1) This notice may be cited as the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Notice (No. 2) 2013.
(2) This notice shall come into effect on 8 March 2013.
2. Interpretation-(1) In this notice, "area/rohe moana" means the area described in clause 5(1).
(2) Terms used in this notice have the same meaning as in the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998 except for "Tangata Kaitiaki" which are local
dialect words that have the same meaning as "Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki".
3. Cancellation of appointment-On 4 February 2013, the Minister for Primary Industries cancelled, under Regulation 10(1) of Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the appointment of the late
Peter Manukapua Ponga as a Tangata Kaitiaki for managing customary food-gathering within the area/rohe moana.
4. Nomination of Tangata Kaitiaki-Te Akau Marae, acting for Ngati Tahinga, has nominated Rocky Thompson as a replacement Tangata Kaitiaki for managing customary food-gathering within the area/rohe moana.
5. Appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki-(1) On 4 February 2013, the Minister for Primary Industries appointed, under Regulation 10(2) of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, Rocky Thompson as a replacement Tangata Kaitiaki for managing customary food-gathering within the area/rohe moana enclosed by a line:
(a) commencing at Otehe (Crayfish Point) at 37°36.14'S and 174°46.26'E; then
(b) proceeding due east to the boundary of the Waikato River settlement; then
(c) proceeding along the Waikato River settlement boundary generally south-east to a point due east of Te Hara Point; then
(d) proceeding due west to Te Hara Point at 37°44.45'S and 174°49.38'E; then
(e) proceeding due west for 200 nautical miles to a point on the line of the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ); then
(f) following the line of the EEZ north to a point due west of Otehe (Crayfish Point); then
(g) due east for 200 nautical miles to Otehe (Crayfish Point) being the point of commencement.
(2) The geographical coordinates used in paragraph
5(1)(a)-(g) are stated in terms of the WGS84 datum.
6. Confirmation of tangata whenua-Ngati Tahinga,
as represented in respect to this appointment by Te Akau Marae, is confirmed as the tangata whenua of the area/rohe moana to which the appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki relates.
7. Power to authorise the taking of fisheries resources for customary food-gathering-Tangata Kaitiaki appointed for the area/rohe moana may authorise any individual to take fisheries resources, managed under the Fisheries Act 1996, for customary food-gathering purposes from within the whole or any part of the area/rohe moana. No customary food-gathering of fisheries resources may take place in the area/rohe moana without an authorisation from a Tangata Kaitiaki.
Dated at Wellington this 1st day of March 2013.
KELLY DUNN, Director Maori Partnership Implementation, Ministry for Primary Industries.