Pursuant to Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the Director Maori Partnership Implementation at the Ministry for Primary Industries (acting pursuant to a delegated authority in accordance with section 41 of the State Sector Act 1988) gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement-(1) This notice may be cited as the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing Notice (No. 4) 2012.
(2) This notice shall come into effect on 17 August 2012.
2. Interpretation-(1) In this notice:
"area/rohe moana" means the area described in clause 4.
(2) Terms used in this notice have the same meaning as in the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
3. Nomination of Tangata Kaitiaki-Ngati Kuta-Patukeha Hapu have nominated Joe Bristow, Phillip Bristow, John Clendon, Joe George, Russell Hook, George Martin, George Munn, Tony Reti, Arana Rewha, Charlotte Tau, Tauhia Tetai, Robert Willoughby and Richard Witehira as Tangata Kaitiaki for managing customary food-gathering within the area/rohe moana described in clause 4 of this notice.
4. Appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki-On 6 August 2012, the Minister for Primary Industries confirmed, under Regulation 9(1) of Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the appointment of Joe Bristow, Phillip Bristow, John Clendon, Joe George, Russell Hook, George Martin, George Munn, Tony Reti, Arana Rewha, Charlotte Tau, Tauhia Tetai, Robert Willoughby and Richard Witehira as Tangata Kaitiaki for managing customary food-gathering within the area/rohe moana enclosed by a line:
(a) commencing at a point on the mean high water mark (MHWM) on the southern side of the Haumi River mouth (at 35°17.86'S and 174°06.19'E); then
(b) proceeding in a northerly direction to a point offshore (at 35°16.88'S and 174°06.31'E); then
(c) proceeding in a northerly direction to a point offshore (at 35°13.34'S and 174°05.73'E); then
(d) proceeding in a north-easterly direction to a point on the boundary of the exclusive economic zone (EEZ) (at 33°09.00'S and 177°39.00'E); then
(e) proceeding in a generally south-easterly direction along the boundary of the EEZ until its intersection with the line of latitude 35°16.87'S; then
(f) proceeding due west for 200 nautical miles to a point on the MHWM at Taupiri Bay (at 35°16.87'S and 174°17.66'E); then
(g) proceeding along the MHWM of the Bay of Islands to the point of commencement.
(2) The geographical coordinates used in paragraph
4(1)(a)-(g) are stated in terms of the WGS84 datum.
5. Confirmation of tangata whenua-Kororareka, Ngati Hine, Ngati Kaua, Ngati Korehina, Ngati Kuta, Ngati Manu, Ngati Rahiri, Ngati Rehia, Patukeha, Te Kapotai and Te Uri Karaka are confirmed as the tangata whenua of the area/rohe moana to which the appointment of the Tangata Kaitiaki relates.
6. Power to authorise the taking of fisheries resources for customary food-gathering-A Tangata Kaitiaki may authorise any individual to take fisheries resources managed under the Fisheries Act 1996 for customary food-gathering purposes from within the whole or any part of the
area/rohe moana. No customary food-gathering of fisheries resources may take place in the area/rohe moana without an authorisation from a Tangata Kaitiaki.
Dated at Wellington this 13th day of August 2012.
KELLY DUNN, Director Maori Partnership Implementation, Ministry for Primary Industries.