Pursuant to Regulations 23 and 25 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the Minister for Primary Industries and the Director-General of the Ministry for Primary Industries give the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title-This notice may be cited as the Fisheries (Declaration and Notification of Te Hoe Mataitai Reserve and Appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki) Notice 2012.
2. Commencement-This notice shall come into effect
on the 28th day after the date of its notification in the
New Zealand Gazette.
3. Interpretation-In this notice:
(a) "mataitai reserve" means the identified traditional fishing ground described in clause 4 of this notice.
(b) "Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki" means any person or persons appointed as Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki for the mataitai reserve under Regulation 24 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
4. Declaration of a mataitai reserve-The Minister for Primary Industries declares a mataitai reserve over the following fisheries waters enclosed by a line:
(a) commencing at a point on the mean high water
mark (MHWM) at Te Hoe Point at 39°07.12'S and 177°51.20'E; then
(b) proceeding in a straight line in a north-westerly direction to a point on the MHWM at Waikokopu at 39°04.31'S and 177°49.45'E; then
(c) proceeding in a generally north-easterly direction along the MHWM to the south bank of the Waikokopu Stream at 39°04.24'S and 177°49.71'E; then
(d) proceeding in a straight line due north to the north bank of the Waikokopu Stream at 39°04.16'S and 177°49.71'E; then
(e) proceeding in a generally south-easterly direction along the MHWM to a point at the southern end of Mahia Beach (near the Mahia Boating and Fishing Club) at 39°05.17'S and 177°52.34'E; then
(f) proceeding in a straight line in a westerly direction to a point on the MHWM at the base of Mokotahi Hill at 39°05.18'S and 177°52.00'E; then
(g) proceeding in a generally south-westerly direction along the MHWM to the point of commencement.
5. Appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki-The Director-General names Edward Hammond, Dean Whaanga,
Sonia Pohe, Pera Edwards and Henry Smith as Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki for the mataitai reserve.
6. Prohibition on commercial fishing-Commercial fishing within the mataitai reserve is prohibited under Regulation 27(2) of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
7. Power to authorise taking of fisheries resources for customary food gathering-The Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki may authorise any individual to take fish, aquatic life or seaweed for customary food gathering purposes from within the whole or any part of the mataitai reserve. No fishing for customary food gathering purposes may take place in the mataitai reserve without authorisation from the Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki.
Dated at Wellington this 23rd day of July 2012.
HON DAVID CARTER, Minister for Primary Industries.
JAMES STEVENSON-WALLACE, Director Fisheries Management, acting under delegated authority from the Director-General, Ministry for Primary Industries.