Pursuant to section 96B(3) of the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act 1996 ("the Act"), the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) gives notice that a Group Standard is amended.
N o t i c e
1. Title-(1) This notice is the Cosmetic Products Group Standard (Amendment) Notice 2012 and is part of the principal notice.
(2) In this notice, "principal notice" means the Hazardous Substances (Group Standards) Notice 2006 (Supplement to the New Zealand Gazette, 30 June 2006, No. 74, page 1889).
2. Purpose-The purpose of the Cosmetic Products Group Standard (Amendment) Notice 2012 is to update the Cosmetic Products Group Standard 2006 referred to in Part 10 of the principal notice at page 2069 with amendments made to the European Union (EU) Cosmetics Directive and the EU Cosmetics Regulation, on which the Cosmetic Products Group Standard 2006 is closely based.
3. Commencement-The amendments referred to in this notice, with the exception of those in paragraphs 4(b), 4(c), 4(g) and 4(h) of this notice, come into force 28 days
after the date of notification in the New Zealand Gazette. The amendment set out in:
(a) Paragraph 4(h) comes into force on 1 July 2013.
(b) Paragraphs 4(b) and 4(g) come into force on 1 July 2014.
(c) Paragraph 4(c) comes into force on 1 July 2015.
4. Amendments to Group Standard-(1) This notice amends the Cosmetic Products Group Standard 2006 referred to in Part 10 of the principal notice by:
(a) modifying the wording of clause 4(4)(b) of the scope;
(b) adding a labelling requirement to include all manufacturers’ original source or batch code information;
(c) adding a labelling requirement for ingredients present in the form of nanomaterials;
(d) amending entry 46 of Schedule 4;
(e) removing the expiry date from Table 3 in Schedule 5;
(f) updating the definition of "preservative", "colorant" and "UV filter" (Schedule 3) to align with the latest European Union definitions;
(g) deleting entries 3-6, 11, 12, 16, 19-22, 25, 27,
31-33, 35-39, 44, 48, 49, 55 and 56 from Schedule 5 Table 3 and adding them to Table 1 of that Schedule;
(h) deleting entry 34 from Schedule 5 Table 3 and adding it to Schedule 4 as entry 1372;
(i) updating Schedule 6 with chemical names of the colouring agents to align with the European Union’s Regulation No 1223/2009 on Cosmetic Products;
(j) amending the alternative labelling provisions to include Canada;
(k) replacing the term "nanoparticle" with "nanomaterial" to align with the European Union legislation; and
(l) restructuring the labelling section of Schedule 1 Part 1 to clarify the labelling requirements.
5. Availability-The full original Group Standard and amended Group Standard as well as Schedules and any information incorporated by reference may be:
(a) inspected free of charge during normal business hours at the EPA office; or
(b) purchased from the EPA; or
(c) viewed at www.epa.govt.nz
EPA contact details:
20 Customhouse Quay
(PO Box 131)
Telephone: (04) 916 2426
Facsimile: (04) 914 0433
Dated at Wellington this 5th day of July 2012.
HELEN ATKINS, for and on behalf of the Environmental Protection Authority.