Pursuant to section 161D(1)(e) of the Climate Change Response Act 2002, I, The Honourable Dr Nick Smith, Minister for Climate Change Issues, give the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement-(1) This notice may be cited as the Call for the Provision of Electricity Contract Related Information (Aluminium Smelting) Notice 2011.
(2) This notice takes effect from and including 17 November 2011.
2. Interpretation-Unless context otherwise requires:
aluminium smelting has the meaning given to it in
the Climate Change (Eligible Industrial Activities) Regulations 2010.
electricity contracts means electricity related contracts in force on the date of this notice (including the 1963, 1981 and 1991 electricity contracts).
NZAS means the company registered as New Zealand Aluminium Smelters Limited.
3. Electricity contract related information required to be provided-(1) NZAS must provide the Ministry for the Environment, within 45 working days of the date of this notice, with the information specified in paragraphs 3(3)(a) to 3(3)(d) of this notice.
(2) NZAS must provide the information specified in paragraphs 3(3)(a) to 3(3)(d) in respect of the activity of aluminium smelting and for the period 1 April 2009 to
31 December 2012.
NZAS must provide actual values for historic time periods where such information is known.
For time periods in the future, or where such actual information is not known, NZAS must provide its best estimate of the most likely values as at the date of this notice.
(3) NZAS must provide:
(a) the total amount of electricity consumed (in GWh) by NZAS each month under each of NZAS's electricity contracts;
(b) the total amount of electricity consumed (in GWh) by NZAS each month that was purchased on the electricity spot market (ie in excess of NZAS's electricity contracts);
(c) the transmission escalator values used in each of NZAS's electricity contracts; and
(d) the New Zealand generation weighted average spot price (in $/MWh) used in the energy escalator calculation in each of NZAS's electricity contracts.
4. NZAS may provide any additional information that it believes will assist the Minister in making a determination.
Dated at Wellington this 14th day of November 2011.
HON DR NICK SMITH, Minister for Climate Change Issues.