Pursuant to Regulations 20 and 22 of the Fisheries (South Island Customary Fishing) Regulations 1999, the Minister of Fisheries and Aquaculture and the Director-General of the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry give the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title-This notice may be cited as the Fisheries (Declaration and Notification of Okuru/Mussel Point Mataitai Reserve and Appointment of Tangata Tiaki/
Kaitiaki) Notice 2011.
2. Commencement-This notice shall come into effect
on the 28th day after the date of its notification in the
New Zealand Gazette.
3. Interpretation-In this notice:
(a) "mataitai reserve" means the identified traditional fishing ground described in clause 4 of this notice.
(b) "Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki" means any person or persons appointed as Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki for the mataitai reserve under Regulation 21 of the Fisheries (South Island Customary Fishing) Regulations 1999.
4. Declaration of a mataitai reserve-The Minister of Fisheries and Aquaculture declares a mataitai reserve over all fisheries waters enclosed by a line:
(a) commencing at a point on the mean high water mark (MHWM) west of the airstrip at Okuru/Mussel Point at 43ø54.73'S and 168ø53.01'E; then
(b) proceeding in a straight line in a north-westerly direction to a point approximately 200m offshore at 43ø54.67'S and 168ø52.87'E; then
(c) proceeding in a straight line in a south-westerly direction for approximately 1km to a point offshore at 43ø55.08'S and 168ø52.48'E; then
(d) proceeding in a straight line in a south-easterly direction to a point on the MHWM at 43ø55.12'S and 168ø52.53'E; and then
(e) proceeding in a generally north-easterly direction along the MHWM to the point of commencement.
5. Appointment of Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki-The Director-General names Rihari Wallace, Paul Wilson, Helen Rasmussen, Mata Holliday, Brian Cadigan, Robert Wilson and Thomas Rochford as Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki for the mataitai reserve. This appointment is for a term of five years commencing on the day that this notice comes into effect.
6. Prohibition on commercial fishing-Commercial fishing within the mataitai reserve is prohibited under Regulation 24(2) of the Fisheries (South Island Customary Fishing) Regulations 1999.
7. Power to authorise taking of fisheries resources for customary food-gathering-The Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki may authorise any individual to take fish, aquatic life or seaweed for customary food-gathering purposes from within the whole or any part of the mataitai reserve. No fishing for customary food-gathering purposes may take place in the mataitai reserve without authorisation from the Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki.
Dated at Wellington this 15th day of August 2011.
HON PHIL HEATLEY, Minister of Fisheries and Aquaculture.
DAVID SCRANNEY, Spatial Allocations Manager, acting under delegated authority from the Director-General, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry.