Pursuant to Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the Fisheries Manager Customary at the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (acting pursuant to a delegated authority in accordance with section 41 of the State Sector Act 1988) gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement-(1) This notice may be cited as the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Notice (No. 10) 2011.
(2) This notice shall come into effect on 15 July 2011.
2. Interpretation-In this notice:
(a) "customary food-gathering" has the same meaning as defined in the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
(b) "Kaitiaki" is a local dialect word that has the same meaning as "Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki", a term that is defined in the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
(c) "Kaitiaki" means the person or persons appointed under Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998 for the management of customary food-gathering within
the area/rohe moana.
(d) "area/rohe moana" means all those waters of Aotea Harbour and the adjacent coastline enclosed in an area bounded by a line commencing at the mean high-water mark commencing at Matawha Point at 37°55.2'S and 174°46.5'E; then proceeding by a straight line in a southerly direction to the mean high-water mark at Kahua Point at 38°02.1'S and 174°47'E; then following the line of the mean
high-water mark within the estuarine waters of Aotea Harbour to the northern harbour entrance
at Potahi Point; then in a northerly direction
along the mean high-water mark to the point of commencement.
3. Nomination of Kaitiaki-Nga Hapu o Aotea Moana, representing Waikato/Maniapoto, have nominated John Gillett as an additional Kaitiaki for managing customary food-gathering within the area/rohe moana.
4. Appointment of Kaitiaki-On 28 June 2011, the Minister of Fisheries and Aquaculture confirmed, under Regulation 9(1) of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the appointment of John Gillett as a Kaitiaki for managing customary food-gathering within the area/rohe moana.
5. Confirmation of tangata whenua-Waikato/Maniapoto, as represented in respect of this appointment by
Te Papatapu Marae/Nga Hapu o Aotea Moana, is confirmed as the tangata whenua of the area/rohe moana to which the appointment of Kaitiaki relates.
6. Power to authorise the taking of fisheries resources for customary food-gathering-Kaitiaki appointed for
the area/rohe moana may authorise any individual to take fisheries resources, managed under the Fisheries Act
1996, for customary food-gathering purposes from within the whole or any part of the area/rohe moana. No customary food-gathering of fisheries resources may take place in the area/rohe moana without an authorisation from a Kaitiaki.
Dated at Wellington this 12th day of July 2011.
JUDITH MACDONALD, Fisheries Manager Customary, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry.