Pursuant to Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the Fisheries Manager Customary at the Ministry of Fisheries (acting pursuant to a delegated authority in accordance with section 41 of the State Sector Act 1988) gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement-(1) This notice may be cited as the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Notice (No. 9) 2011.
(2) This notice shall come into effect on 8 July 2011.
2. Interpretation-In this notice:
(a) "customary food-gathering" has the same meaning as defined in the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998;
(b) "Tangata Kaitiaki" are local dialect words that have the same meaning as "Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki", a term that is defined in Regulation 2 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998;
(c) "Tangata Kaitiaki" means the person or persons appointed under Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998 for the management of customary food-gathering within the area/rohe moana; and
(d) "area/rohe moana" means the area described by a line commencing at a point on the line of mean
high-water springs at the mouth of the Waikato River, being Okarahia (37°22.35'S, 174°42.33'E); then southerly following the line of mean
high-water springs to Ngatutura Point (37°31.22'S, 174°44.66'E); then due west to the Exclusive Economic Zone; then northerly following the Exclusive Economic Zone to a point due west
of the point of commencement; then due east to
the point of commencement. The geographical coordinates named are in terms of the WGS84 datum.
3. Nomination of Tangata Kaitiaki-Nga Kaitiaki o Te Puaha, as represented by Tauranganui Marae, has nominated Te Aroha Taupo as a Tangata Kaitiaki for managing customary food-gathering within the area/rohe moana.
4. Appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki-On 28 June 2011, the Minister of Fisheries and Aquaculture confirmed, under Regulation 9(1) of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the appointment of Te Aroha Taupo as a Tangata Kaitiaki for managing customary
food-gathering within the area/rohe moana.
5. Confirmation of tangata whenua-Nga Kaitiaki o Te Puaha is confirmed as the tangata whenua of the area/rohe moana to which the appointment of the Tangata Kaitiaki relates. Nga Kaitiaki o Te Puaha is represented by Oraeroa, Tauranganui, Te Awamarahi, Te Kotahitanga and Tikirahi Marae.
6. Power to authorise the taking of fisheries resources for customary food-gathering-A Tangata Kaitiaki from Nga Kaitiaki o Te Puaha may authorise any individual to take fisheries resources managed under the Fisheries Act 1996 for customary food-gathering purposes from within the whole or any part of the area/rohe moana. No customary food-gathering of fisheries resources may take place in the area/rohe moana without an authorisation from a Tangata Kaitiaki.
Dated at Wellington this 1st day of July 2011.
JUDITH MACDONALD, Fisheries Manager Customary, Ministry of Fisheries.