Pursuant to Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the Fisheries Manager Customary at the Ministry of Fisheries (acting pursuant to a delegated authority in accordance with section 41 of the State Sector Act 1988) gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement-(1) This notice may be cited as the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Notice (No. 6) 2011.
(2) This notice shall come into effect on 27 May 2011.
2. Interpretation-In this notice:
(a) "customary food-gathering" has the same meaning as defined in the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
(b) "Kaitiaki" is a local dialect word that has the same meaning as ‘Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki’, a term that is defined in the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
(c) "Kaitiaki" means the person or persons appointed under Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998 for the management of customary food-gathering within
the area/rohe moana.
(d) "area/rohe moana" means all those waters of Aotea Harbour and the adjacent coastline enclosed in an area bounded by a line commencing at the mean high-water mark commencing at Matawha Point at 37°55.2'S and 174°46.5'E; then proceeding by a straight line in a southerly direction to the mean high-water mark at Kahua Point at 38°02.1'S and 174°47'E; then following the line of the mean
high-water mark within the estuarine waters of Aotea Harbour to the northern harbour entrance at Potahi Point; then in a northerly direction along
the mean high-water mark to the point of commencement.
3. Nomination of Kaitiaki-Nga Hapu o Aotea Moana, representing Waikato/Maniapoto, have nominated Katie Penny and Morris Tuaupiki as additional Kaitiaki for managing customary food-gathering within the area/rohe moana.
4. Appointment of Kaitiaki-On 16 May 2011, the Minister of Fisheries and Aquaculture confirmed, under Regulation 9(1) of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the appointment of Katie Penny and Morris Tuaupiki as Kaitiaki for managing customary food-gathering within the area/rohe moana.
5. Confirmation of tangata whenua-Waikato/Maniapoto, as represented in respect to these appointments by Nga Hapu o Aotea Moana, is confirmed as the tangata whenua of the area/rohe moana to which the appointment of Kaitiaki relates.
6. Power to authorise the taking of fisheries resources for customary food-gathering-Kaitiaki appointed for the area/rohe moana may authorise any individual to take fisheries resources, managed under the Fisheries Act 1996, for customary food-gathering purposes from within the whole or any part of the area/rohe moana. No customary food-gathering of fisheries resources may take place in the area/rohe moana without an authorisation from a Kaitiaki.
Dated at Wellington this 19th day of May 2011.
JUDITH MACDONALD, Fisheries Manager Customary, Ministry of Fisheries.