Pursuant to Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the Fisheries Manager Customary at the Ministry of Fisheries (acting pursuant to a delegated authority in accordance with section 41 of the State Sector Act 1988) gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement-(1) This notice may be cited as the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Notice (No. 1) 2011.
(2) This notice shall come into effect on 18 March 2011.
2. Interpretation-In this notice:
(a) "customary food-gathering" has the same meaning as defined in Regulation 2 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
(b) "Tangata Kaitiaki" are local dialect words that have the same meaning as "Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki", a term that is defined in Regulation 2 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
(c) "Tangata Kaitiaki" means the person or persons appointed under Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998 for the management of customary food-gathering within the area/rohe moana.
(d) "area/rohe moana" means all that area of
New Zealand fisheries waters enclosed by a line that:
(i) commences at a point on the line of the
mean high water-mark (MHWM) at the mouth of Rahuitoetoe Stream at 39°29.34'S and 173°53.21'E; then
(ii) proceeds in a south-westerly direction in a straight line for 5km to a point at 39°31.25'S and 173°50.58'E; then
(iii) proceeds in a north-westerly direction in
a straight line to a point 5km offshore from
the northern extremity of Waiwiri Bay at 39°26.77'S and 173°45.19'E; then
(iv) proceeds in a north-easterly direction in a straight line to a point on the MHWM
at the northern extremity of Waiwiri Bay at 39°24.90'S and 173°47.77'E; then
(v) proceeds in a generally south-easterly
direction along the MHWM to the point of commencement.
The geographical coordinates named are in terms of the WGS84 datum.
3. Nomination of Tangata Kaitiaki-Orimupiko Marae, acting for Ngati Haumia, has nominated Jack Davey and Diane Mary Kumea Ratahi as Tangata Kaitiaki for managing customary food-gathering in the area/rohe moana.
4. Appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki-On 15 February 2011, the Minister of Fisheries and Aquaculture confirmed, under Regulation 9(1) of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the appointment of Jack Davey and Diane Mary Kumea Ratahi as Tangata Kaitiaki for managing customary food-gathering within the area/rohe moana.
5. Confirmation of tangata whenua-Ngati Haumia, as represented in respect to these appointments by Orimupiko Marae, is confirmed as the tangata whenua of the area/rohe moana to which the appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki relates.
6. Power to authorise the taking of fisheries resources for customary food-gathering-Tangata Kaitiaki appointed for the area/rohe moana may authorise any individual to take fisheries resources, managed under the Fisheries Act 1996, for customary food-gathering purposes from within the whole or any part of the area/rohe moana. No customary food-gathering of fisheries resources may take place in the area/rohe moana without an authorisation from a Tangata Kaitiaki.
Dated at Wellington this 15th day of March 2011.
JUDITH MACDONALD, Fisheries Manager Customary, Ministry of Fisheries.