Pursuant to section 66 of the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act 1996 ("the Act"), the Environmental Risk Management Authority issues the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title-This notice is the Hazardous Substances (water dispersible granule or wettable powder containing 750g/kg quintozene) Direction Prohibiting Use and Requiring Disposal Notice 2011.
2. Commencement-This notice comes into force 28 days after the date of notification in the New Zealand Gazette.
3. Purpose-The purpose of this notice is to prohibit the use of, and require the disposal of, water dispersible granule or wettable powder containing 750g/kg quintozene.
4. Prohibition on use-No person may use water dispersible granule or wettable powder containing 750g/kg quintozene.
5. Controls on the disposal of stored water dispersible granule or wettable powder containing 750g/kg quintozene¬-(1) All stocks of stored water dispersible granule or wettable powder containing 750g/kg quintozene must be disposed of within three months of this notice.
(2) Stored water dispersible granule or wettable powder containing 750g/kg quintozene may be disposed of by:
(a) treating the substance using a method that changes the characteristics or composition of the substance so that the substance or any product of such treatment is no longer a hazardous substance; or
(b) exporting the substance from New Zealand as waste for environmentally sound disposal provided that such export complies with the relevant requirements of the Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and their Disposal and the OECD Decision C(2001)107 on the Control of Transboundary Movement of Wastes Destined for Recovery Operations.
(3) In subclause (2)(a), treating the substance does not include:
(a) application to or discharge to any environmental medium; or
(b) dilution of the substance with any other substance before discharge into the environment; or
(c) depositing the substance in a landfill or a sewage facility; or
(d) depositing the substance in an incinerator unless in doing so the substance is treated in accordance with subclause (2)(a).
ERMA New Zealand Contact Details
BP House, 20 Customhouse Quay, Wellington 6011, or
PO Box 131, Wellington 6140. Telephone: (04) 916 2426, Facsimile: (04) 914 0433. Email: email@example.com
Dated at Wellington this 26th day of May 2011.
DEBORAH READ, for and on behalf of the Environmental