Pursuant to Regulations 23 and 25 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the Minister
of Fisheries and Aquaculture and the Chief Executive of
the Ministry of Fisheries hereby give the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title-This notice may be cited as the Fisheries (Declaration and Notification of Marokopa Mataitai Reserve and Appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki) Notice 2010.
2. Commencement-This notice shall come into effect
on the 28th day after the date of its notification in the
New Zealand Gazette.
3. Interpretation-In this notice:
(a) "Mataitai reserve" means the identified traditional fishing ground described in clause 4 of this notice.
(b) "Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki" means any person or persons appointed as Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki for the mataitai reserve under Regulation 24 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
4. Declaration of a mataitai reserve-The Minister of Fisheries and Aquaculture declares a mataitai reserve over all fisheries waters enclosed by a line:
(i) commencing at a point on the mean high water
mark (MHWM) at Tirua Point (at 38?23.20'S and 174?38.10'E); then
(ii) proceeding in a generally northerly direction
along the MHWM to a point at Harihari Beach
(at 38?13.10'S and 174?42.90'E); then
(iii) proceeding due west to a point 3km offshore
(at 38?13.10'S and 174?40.71'E); then
(iv) proceeding in a generally southerly direction along in a line every point of which is 3km from the MHWM to a point 3km offshore due west of
the point of commencement (at 38?23.20'S and 174?35.91'E); and then
(v) proceeding due east for 3km to the point of commencement.
5. Appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki-The chief executive names Alan Willison and Hemi Kete as Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki for the mataitai reserve.
6. Prohibition on commercial fishing-Commercial fishing within the mataitai reserve is prohibited under Regulation 27 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
7. Power to authorise taking of fisheries resources for customary food gathering-The Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki may authorise any individual to take fish, aquatic life or seaweed from within the whole or any part of the mataitai reserve. No fishing for customary food gathering purposes may take place in the mataitai reserve without authorisation from the Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki.
Dated at Wellington this 7th day of December 2010.
HON PHIL HEATLEY, Minister of Fisheries and Aquaculture.
DAVID SCRANNEY, Spatial Allocations Manager, acting under delegated authority from the chief executive, Ministry of Fisheries.