Pursuant to section 58(1)(a) of the Te Roroa Claims Settlement Act 2008, the Minister of Conservation hereby notifies that the area described in the Schedule hereto has been declared to be Te Tarehu by section 50 of the Act.
Te Tarehu means the site declared as Te Tarehu by section 50 of the Act.
The provisions of the Act which relate to Te Tarehu are sections 49 to 67 inclusive.
Pursuant to section 51 of the Act, the Crown acknowledges the statement by Te Roroa of Te Roroa values in relation
to Te Tarehu.
Te Roroa values means the statement by Te Roroa of the cultural, spiritual, historical, and traditional association of Te Roroa with Te Tarehu, the text of which is set out in paragraph 3 of Part 2 of Schedule 1 of the Deed of Settlement.
Pursuant to section 58(1)(b) of the Act, the Minister of Conservation hereby notifies that the following specific protection principles, which are set out in paragraph 4 of Part 2 of Schedule 1 of the Deed of Settlement, have been agreed by the trustees of the Manawhenua Trust and the Crown, and are directed at the Minister of Conservation avoiding harm to, or the diminishing of, the Te Roroa values related to Te Tarehu:
1. Protection of wahi tapu, indigenous flora and fauna and the wider environment within Waipoua Forest;
2. Recognition of the mana, kaitiakitanga and tikanga of
Te Roroa within Waipoua Forest;
3. Respect for Te Roroa tikanga within Waipoua Forest;
4. Encouragement of respect for the association of
Te Roroa with Waipoua Forest;
5. Accurate portrayal of the association of Te Roroa with Waipoua Forest;
6. Recognition of the relationship of Te Roroa with wahi tapu, and wahi taonga.
That part of the Waipoua Forest; marked "A" on SO 354589.
Dated at Wellington this 2nd day of October 2009.
HON TIM GROSER, Minister of Conservation.