In accordance with the provisions of the Meat Board Act 2004, Quota Allowance Allocation System in respect of European Union (EU) Sheepmeat and Goatmeat Tariff Rate Quota and the Quota Allowance Allocation System in respect of United States (US) Beef and Veal Tariff Rate Quota, up to 2% of each of the total annual tariff quotas available to New Zealand is set aside as Reserved Quota Allowance (RQA) for possible allocation to New Entrants.
The closing date for applications from New Entrants (including Year 2 and Year 3 New Entrants) for RQA for the 2010 Quota Year for both tariff quotas is 1 September 2009.
Applications must be made in writing on Form 7 (US Beef and Veal) or Form 8 (EU Sheepmeat and Goatmeat), Section 17 of the respective Quota Manuals.
Printable copies of the appropriate application forms are available from New Zealand Meat Board's website at
or by contacting the board direct.
Please Note: Applications for RQA for the 2010 Quota Year must be completed using the correct forms.
Applications received after the closing date will be regarded as late and will be considered only at the discretion of the board. Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant for completion and therefore risk being received after the closing date.
Applicants must provide:
- a non-refundable New Entrant Application Fee of $10,500.00 + GST for each quota applied for;
- a Fixed Participation Fee (refundable if the application is not successful) of:
$4,000.00 + GST (EU Sheepmeat and Goatmeat)
$1,500.00 + GST (US Beef and Veal);
- New Zealand Meat Board Export Registration Number;
- a Business Plan as outlined in the respective Quota Manuals, including:
- evidence of procurement details with accompanying letter(s) of confirmation if applicable;
- evidence of ability to process at an EU or USDA Listed Premises or ability to toll process with accompanying letter(s) of confirmation; and
- evidence of marketing arrangements with accompanying letter(s) of confirmation if applicable.
New Entrant applicants for EU Sheepmeat and Goatmeat or US Beef and Veal RQA are advised that any New Entrant that has not produced qualifying product by the end of March in the applicable production season shall have any conditional RQA held by that applicant revert to the board for reallocation in accordance with the provisions of the respective Quota Allowance Allocation Systems.
Note: Variable Participation Fees of $1.20 + GST (per tonne) payable by New Entrant and General Quota Holders will be notified by the board following the annual allocation of TRQ Allowances and are due by 31 December 2009.
In relation to the EU Sheepmeat and Goatmeat Tariff Rate Quota, the tariff rate applying to "in quota" imports is zero.
The US Beef and Veal Tariff Rate Quota has a tariff rate applying to "in quota" imports of $US0.044 per kilogram on most beef products.
Please direct any enquiries by telephone to Mary Malone (04) 474 0838 or Dave Harrison (04) 471 6036.
Dated at Wellington this 4th day of August 2009.
A. DOMETAKIS, Board Secretary, New Zealand Meat Board.