Pursuant to section 93 of the Waste Minimisation Act 2008 ("the Act"), the Minister for the Environment is seeking nominations for potential Waste Advisory Board members.
Up to three of the eight seats may be filled as:
- two of the board members have recently resigned in order to facilitate staggered terms; and
- one of the eight seats was not previously filled.
The function of the board is to provide advice, upon request, to the Minister for the Environment, including advice on:
- products to be declared a "priority product" under the Act (for which an accredited product stewardship scheme will be required);
- guidelines about the contents and expected effects of product stewardship schemes for priority products;
- accrediting a product stewardship scheme not consistent with published guidelines;
- regulations prohibiting the sale of a priority product except in accordance with an accredited scheme;
- regulations in relation to products, materials and waste;
- criteria for approving funding of a project from waste disposal levy funds;
- reviewing the effectiveness of the waste disposal levy;
- regulations in relation to the imposition or rate of the waste disposal levy; and
- regulations in relation to records, information, and reports.
In appointing board members, the Minister must consider the need for the board to have available to it, from its members, knowledge, skill, and experience relating to:
- the Waste Minimisation Act 2008;
- matters that are likely to come before the board;
- community projects for waste minimisation;
- industry, including the commercial waste industry;
- local government; and
- tikanga Maori
It is also desired that board members have knowledge and experience in one or more of:
- product stewardship;
- product life-cycle analysis;
- scientific or technical expertise in the environmental harm of waste from end-of-life products;
- major waste streams in New Zealand;
- international best practice in waste minimisation;
- organisational governance, strategic planning, senior leadership, or board membership.
The term of the appointment is three years, or any shorter term stated in the notice of appointment.
Board members are entitled to fees as set by the Minister and reimbursement for actual and reasonable expenses.
Please forward nominations to the address below, and include the following information:
- An outline of the reasons for the nomination;
- a summary of the relevant knowledge, skills and experience of the nominee;
- advice on whether the nominee has agreed to their nomination;
- the nominee’s CV; and
- contact details for three referees.
All nominations will be forwarded to the Minister for the Environment for consideration.
Nominations close at 5.00pm on 4 January 2010.
For further information, please contact Waste Act Implementation Team at the Ministry for the
Environment (telephone (04) 439 7400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org).
Nominations can be emailed to email@example.com or posted to Waste Advisory Board nominations, Ministry for the Environment, PO Box 10362, Wellington 6143.