Pursuant to Regulations 23, 24 and 25 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the Minister of Fisheries gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title—This notice is the Fisheries (Declaration of Mataitai Reserve at Aotea Harbour and Adjacent Waters, and Appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki) Notice 2008.
2. Commencement—This notice shall come into effect
on the 28th day after the date of its notification in the
New Zealand Gazette.
3. Interpretation—In this notice:
(a) “mataitai reserve” means the identified traditional fishing ground described in clause 3 of this
(b) “Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki” means any person or persons appointed as Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki for the mataitai reserve under Regulation 24 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
4. Declaration of a mataitai reserve—The Minister of Fisheries hereby declares a mataitai reserve at Aotea
Harbour, encompassing all of the coastal waters enclosed
by a line that:
(a) commences at the mean high water mark at Matawha Point (at 37°55.20'S and 17°46.50'E);
(b) proceeds by a straight line in a southerly direction
to the mean high water mark at Kahua Point
(at 38°02.10'S and 174°47.00'E); then
(c) follows the line of the mean high water mark
within the estuarine waters of Aotea Harbour to
the northern harbour entrance at Potahi Point
(at 38°00.54'S and 174°48.01'E); then
(d) proceeds in a northerly direction along the mean high water mark to the point of commencement.
5. Appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki—Eden Rangiawha, Janeva Thomson, Don Rangiawha, Patricia Maihi, Daniel Scott, David Waitere, John Mahara, Davis Apiti, Lynnette Stafford, Allan Rubay and Chris Tuaupiki are hereby appointed as Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki for the above mataitai reserve.
6. Commercial fishing prohibited area—Commercial fishing within the above mataitai reserve is prohibited
under Regulation 27 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
7. Power to authorise taking of fisheries resources for customary food gathering—The Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki may authorise any individual to take fisheries resources managed under the Fisheries Act 1996 for customary food gathering purposes from within the whole or any part of the mataitai reserve. No customary fishing may take place in
the mataitai reserve without authorisation from the Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki.
Dated at Wellington this 2nd of April 2008.
HON JIM ANDERTON, Minister of Fisheries.