Pursuant to Regulations 23, 24 and 25 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the Minister of Fisheries gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement-(1) This notice is the Fisheries (Declaration of Mataitai Reserve at Raukokere and Appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki) Notice 2007.
(2) This notice shall come into effect on the 28th day after the date of its notification in the New Zealand Gazette.
2. Interpretation-In this notice:
(a) "mataitai reserve" means the identified traditional fishing ground described in clause 3 of this notice; and
(b) "Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki" means any person or persons appointed as Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki for the mataitai reserve under Regulation 24 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
3. Declaration of a mataitai reserve-The Minister of Fisheries hereby declares a mataitai reserve at Raukokere, East Cape, encompassing all of the coastal waters enclosed by a line that:
(a) commences at a point on the mean high-water mark at Otiki near the mouth of the Orima Stream (37ø39.70'S and 177ø48.60'E); then
(b) proceeds north-west to a point (37ø38.00'S and 177ø47.80'E); then
(c) proceeds north-east to a point (37ø36.78'S and 177ø51.59'E); then
(d) proceeds south-east to a point on the mean high-water mark at Ngutuone near the mouth of the Waiokaha Stream (37ø38.30'S 177ø53.01'E); then
(e) proceeds south-west following the coastline to the point of commencement.
4. Appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki-Matekoraha Eruera, Watene Hiwi Lake, Joe Rua, Keita Horowai Matchitt and Paul Oliver Swinton Junior are hereby appointed as Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki for the above mataitai reserve.
5. Commercial fishing prohibited area-Commercial fishing within the above mataitai reserve is prohibited under Regulation 27 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
6. Power to authorise taking of fisheries resources for customary food gathering-The Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki may authorise any individual to take fisheries resources managed under the Fisheries Act 1996 for customary food gathering purposes from within the whole or any part of the mataitai reserve. No customary fishing may take place in
the mataitai reserve without authorisation from the Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki.
7. Revocation-The Fisheries (Declaration of Mataitai Reserve at Raukokere and Appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki) Notice 2005 (No. F330) published in the New Zealand Gazette, 11 August 2005, No. 123, page 3009, is revoked.
Dated at Wellington this 9th day of October 2007.
HON. JIM ANDERTON, Minister of Fisheries.