Pursuant to Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the Programme Manager (Deed of Settlement Implementation Programme) at the Ministry of Fisheries (acting pursuant to a delegated authority in accordance with section 41 of the State Sector Act 1988) gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement—(1) This notice may be
cited as the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Notice (No. 8) 2007.
(2) This notice shall come into effect the day after the date of its notification in the New Zealand Gazette.
2. Interpretation—In this notice:
(a) “customary food-gathering” has the same meaning as defined in Regulation 2 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998;
(b) “Tangata Kaitiaki” are local dialect words that have the same meaning as “Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki”, a term that is defined in Regulation 2 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998;
(c) “Tangata Kaitiaki” means the person or persons appointed under Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998 for the management of customary food-gathering within the area/rohe moana; and
(d) “area/rohe moana” means the area described by a line commencing at a point on the line of mean
high-water springs at Otehe (Crayfish Point) (37°36.14'S, 174°46.26'E), then due west to the outer limit of the Exclusive Economic Zone, then northerly following the Exclusive Economic Zone
to a point due west of Kaawa Stream, then due
east to a point on the line of mean high-water springs at the mouth of Kaawa Stream (37°30.23'S, 174°44.56'E), then generally southerly following
the line of mean high-water springs to the point of commencement. The geographical coordinates named are in terms of the WGS84 datum.
3. Nomination of Tangata Kaitiaki—The Pukerewa Marae, acting for Ngati Tahinga, has nominated Jury Hawkins as the Tangata Kaitiaki for managing customary food-gathering within the area/rohe moana.
4. Appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki—On 18 September 2007, the Associate Minister of Fisheries confirmed the appointment of Jury Hawkins as the Tangata Kaitiaki for managing customary food-gathering within the area/rohe moana.
5. Confirmation of tangata whenua—Ngati Tahinga,
as represented by the Pukerewa Marae, is confirmed as
the tangata whenua of the area/rohe moana to which the appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki relates.
6. Power to authorise the taking of fisheries resources for customary food-gathering—The Tangata Kaitiaki may authorise any individual to take fisheries resources managed under the Fisheries Act 1996, other than those resources
that are taken in fresh water, for customary food-gathering purposes from within the whole or any part of the area/rohe moana. No customary food-gathering of fisheries resources may take place in the area/rohe moana without an authorisation from the Tangata Kaitiaki.
Dated at Nelson this 25th day of September 2007.
RAYMOND NECKLEN, Programme Manager (Deed
of Settlement Implementation Programme), Ministry of Fisheries.