Pursuant to Regulations 23, 24 and 25 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the Minister of Fisheries hereby gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement—(1) This notice may be cited as the Fisheries (Declaration of Mataitai Reserves
at Moremore and Appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki) Notice 2005.
(2) This notice shall come into effect on the day after the date of its notification in the New Zealand Gazette.
2. Interpretation—In this notice:
(a) “mataitai reserves” means the identified traditional fishing grounds described in clause 3 of this notice; and
(b) “Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki” means any person or persons appointed as Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki for a mataitai reserve under Regulation 24 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
3. Declaration of a mataitai reserve—The Minister of Fisheries hereby declares the following areas to be mataitai reserves at Moremore, Napier:
(a) The area encompassing those waters within a line beginning at Whirinaki Bluff-Te Uku (at 39°21.9'S and 176°54.1'E) south-east to a point 500 metres from the mean high water mark (39°22.1'S and 176°54.4'E) and following that 500 metre limit in a northerly direction to a point (39°13.4'S and 177°05.6'E) then north-west to a point on the mean high water mark
7 kilometres south from the Waikare River mouth (39°13.3'S and 177°02.3'E) and then generally south along the coastline to the point of commencement at Whirinaki Bluff-Te Uku; and
(b) the area encompassing those waters within 500 metres of a straight line between a point at 39°25.9'S and 176°57.5'E (being the North Pania Light Buoy) and a point at 39°27.56'S and 176°55.9'E (being
the South Pania Light Buoy) including the two end points.
4. Appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki—Rangi Spooner and Te Aranui Boyce Spooner are hereby appointed as Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki for the above mataitai reserves.
5. Commercial fishing prohibited area—Commercial fishing within the above mataitai reserves is hereby prohibited under Regulation 27 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
6. Power to authorise taking of fisheries resources for customary food gathering—The Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki may authorise any individual to take fisheries resources managed under the Fisheries Act 1983 and 1996 for customary food gathering purposes from within the whole
or any part of the mataitai reserves. No customary fishing may take place in the mataitai reserves without authorisation from the Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki.
Dated at Wellington this 1st day of August 2005.
DAVID BENSON-POPE, Minister of Fisheries.