Pursuant to Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, a senior fisheries management advisor of the Ministry of Fisheries (acting pursuant to a delegated authority in accordance with section 41 of the State Sector Act 1998) hereby gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement—(1) This notice may be cited as the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Notice (No. 3) 2005.
(2) This notice shall come into effect the day after the date of its notification in the New Zealand Gazette.
2. Interpretation—In this notice:
(a) “customary food gathering” has the same meaning as defined in the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998;
(b) “Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki” means the person or persons appointed under Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998 for the management of customary food gathering within the area/rohe moana; and
(c) any reference to “area/rohe moana” means the area described by a line beginning on the coastline at Whakapau Point (39°41.0'S and 177°03.7'E), then generally north following the coastline to a point at Cape Kidnappers (39°38.6'S and 177°05.8'E), then due east for 200 nautical miles to a point (39°38.6'S and 177°41.4'W), then generally south-west to a point (40°39.9'S and 178°03.9'W), then generally north-west for 200 nautical miles to the point
of commencement. The geographical co-ordinates named are in terms of the WGS84 datum.
3. Nomination of Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki—Nga Hapu o Waimarama and Ngati Hawea have nominated Hori
Bartlett, Karanema Bartlett, Walter Broadman, Lance Makowharemahihi, Tom Mulligan, Gordon Paku and Ngahiwi Tomoana as Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki.
4. Appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki—On 27 July 2005, the Associate Minister of Fisheries (acting pursuant
to a delegated authority) confirmed, under Regulation 9 (1) of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the appointment of Hori Bartlett, Karanema Bartlett, Walter Broadman, Lance Makowharemahihi, Tom Mulligan, Gordon Paku and Ngahiwi Tomoana as Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki for managing customary food gathering within the area/rohe moana.
5. Confirmation of tangata whenua—Nga Hapu o Waimarama and Ngati Hawea are confirmed as the tangata whenua of the area/rohe moana to which the appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki relates.
6. Power to authorise the taking of fisheries resources for customary food gathering—The Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki may authorise any individual to take fisheries resources managed under the Fisheries Act 1996, other than those resources that are taken in fresh water, for customary food gathering purposes from within the whole or any part of the area/rohe moana. No customary food gathering of fisheries resources may take place in the area/rohe moana without an authorisation from a Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki.
Dated at Nelson this 8th day of August 2005.
S. WILLIAMSON, Senior Fisheries Management Advisor, Ministry of Fisheries.