Pursuant to Regulations 23, 24 and 25 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the Minister of Fisheries hereby gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement—(1) This notice may be cited as the Fisheries (Declaration of Mataitai Reserve at Raukokere and Appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki) Notice 2005.
(2) This notice shall come into effect on the day after the date of its notification in the New Zealand Gazette.
2. Interpretation—In this notice:
(a) “mataitai reserve” means the identified traditional fishing ground described in clause 3 of this notice; and
(b) “Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki” means any person or persons appointed as Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki for the mataitai reserve under Regulation 24 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
3. Declaration of a mataitai reserve—The Minister of Fisheries hereby declares a mataitai reserve at Raukokore, East Cape. The mataitai reserve encompasses all of the coastal waters enclosed by a line commencing at the mean high-water mark at a point 37°39.65'S and 177°50.77'E
on the shore, and then proceeding along a straight line in
a north-westerly direction to a point 37°37.81'S and 177°48.39'E, and then proceeding in an east north-easterly direction to a point 37°36.78'S and 177°51.59'E, and then
in a south-easterly direction to a point 37°38.30'S and 177°53.01'E and then along the mean high-water mark to the point of commencement.
4. Appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki—Matekoraha Eruera, Watene Hiwi Lake, Joe Rua, Keita Horowai Matchitt and Paul Oliver Swinton Junior are hereby appointed as Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki for the above mataitai reserve.
5. Commercial fishing prohibited area—Commercial fishing within the above mataitai reserve is hereby prohibited under Regulation 27 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
6. Power to authorise taking of fisheries resources for customary food gathering—The Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki may authorise any individual to take fisheries resources managed under the Fisheries Act 1983 and 1996 for customary food gathering purposes from within the whole
or any part of the mataitai reserve. No customary fishing may take place in the mataitai reserve without authorisation from the Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki.
Dated at Wellington this 1st day of August 2005.
DAVID BENSON-POPE, Minister of Fisheries.