Pursuant to Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (South Island Customary Fishing) Regulations 1999, a Senior Fisheries Management Advisor of the Ministry of Fisheries (acting pursuant to a delegated authority in accordance with section 41 of the State Sector Act 1998) hereby gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement-(1) This notice may be cited as the Fisheries (South Island Customary Fishing) Notice (No. 59) 2004.
(2) This notice shall come into effect the day after the date
of its notification in the New Zealand Gazette.
2. Interpretation-In this notice:
(a) "customary food gathering" has the same meaning as defined in the Fisheries (South Island Customary Fishing) Regulations 1999.
(b) "Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki" means the person or persons appointed under Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (South Island Customary Fishing) Regulations 1999 as Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki for the area/rohe moana.
(c) "area/rohe moana" means the area from Piopiotahi to Tokata extending seaward to the limit of the South Island fisheries waters as defined under Regulation 2 of the Fisheries (South Island Customary Fishing) Regulations 1999, being the 200-mile limit; and inland to the boundaries defined for Te Runanga o Awarua, Te Runanga o Oraka Aparima, Hokonui Runaka and Waihopai Runaka in the First Schedule of Te Runanga o Ngai Tahu Act 1996. The area/rohe moana therefore includes South Island fisheries waters about and within Rakiura, and other offshore islands situated within the
3. Nomination of Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki-Awarua Runanga, being the tangata whenua holding manawhenua manamoana over the area/rohe moana, has nominated Stephanie Lenore Blair for a further appointment as a Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki for the area/rohe moana.
4. Appointment of Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki-On
9 December 2004, the Associate Minister of Fisheries (acting pursuant to a delegated authority) confirmed the further appointment of Stephanie Lenore Blair as a Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki for managing customary food gathering for the area/rohe moana. The appointment is for a term of five years commencing the day this notice comes into effect.
5. Power to authorise taking of fisheries resources for customary food gathering-The Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki may authorise any individual to take fisheries resources managed under the Fisheries Act 1996 for customary food gathering purposes from within the whole or any part of the area/rohe moana. No customary food gathering of fisheries resources may take place in the area/rohe moana without an authorisation from a Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki.
Dated at Dunedin this 13th day of December 2004.
R. GRINDLEY, Senior Fisheries Management Advisor, Ministry of Fisheries.