Pursuant to Regulations 9 and 10 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, a senior fisheries management advisor of the Ministry of Fisheries (acting pursuant to a delegated authority in accordance with section 41 of the State Sector Act 1988) gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement-(1) This notice may be cited as the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Notice (No. 15) 2004.
(2) This notice shall come into effect the day after the date of its notification in the New Zealand Gazette.
2. Interpretation-In this notice:
(a) "Te mahi kaimoana" are local dialect words that have the same meaning as "customary food gathering", a term that is defined in the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
(b) "Tangata Kaitiaki" are local dialect words that have the same meaning as "Tangata Kaitiaki/Tiaki", a term that is defined in the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
(c) "Kaimoana" is a local dialect word that has the same meaning as "fisheries resources", a term that is defined in the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998.
(d) Any reference to "Tangata Kaitiaki" means the person or persons appointed under Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998 for the management of te mahi kaimoana within the area/rohe moana.
(e) The "area/rohe moana" means an area of water in the Bay of Plenty enclosed by a line commencing at the mean high-water mark at a point 37 39.65ó S and 177 50.77ó E on the shore, and then proceeding along a straight line in a north-westerly direction to a point 37 37.81ó S and 177 48.39ó E, and then proceeding in an east north-easterly direction to a point 37 36.78ó S and 177 51.59ó E, and then in a south-easterly direction to a point 37 38.30ó S and 177 53.01ó E, and then along the mean high-water mark to the point of commencement.
3. Cancellation of Tangata Kaitiaki-Te Whanau a Maruhaeremuri Hapu Trust, being the tangata whenua who nominated Paddy Hamilton Eruera and Matekoraha Eruera as Tangata Kaitiaki for the area/rohe moana, has requested in writing the cancellation of the appointment of Paddy Hamilton Eruera as Tangata Kaitiaki.
4. Cancellation of appointment-The Associate Minister of Fisheries (acting pursuant to a delegated authority) hereby confirms the cancellation of the appointment of Paddy Hamilton Eruera as Tangata Kaitiaki for managing te mahi kaimoana for the area/rohe moana.
5. Appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki-The Associate Minister of Minister (acting pursuant to a delegated authority) hereby confirms the appointment of Julian Allison, Kevin Frires, Keita Horowai Matchitt and Joe Rua as Tangata Kaitiaki to manage te mahi kaimoana for the area/rohe moana.
6. Confirmation of tangata whenua-Te Whanau a Maruhaeremuri Hapu Trust is confirmed as the tangata whenua of the area/rohe moana to which the appointment of Tangata Kaitiaki relates.
7. Power to authorise the taking of kaimoana for te mahi kaimoana-The Tangata Kaitiaki may authorise any individual to take kaimoana managed under the Fisheries Act 1996, other than those resources that are taken in fresh water, for te mahi kaimoana purposes from within the whole or any part of the area/rohe moana for which they have been appointed as Tangata Kaitiaki. No te mahi kaimoana of kaimoana may take place in the area/rohe moana without an authorisation from the Tangata Kaitiaki.
Dated at Nelson this 10th day of May 2004.
S. WILLIAMSON, Senior Fisheries Management Advisor, Ministry of Fisheries.