Pursuant to Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (South Island Customary Fishing) Regulations 1999, and acting under delegated authority, the Associate Minister of Fisheries hereby gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement-(1) This notice may be cited as the Fisheries (South Island Customary Fishing) Notice (No. 45) 2003.
(2) This notice shall come into effect the day after the date of its notification in the New Zealand Gazette.
2. Interpretation-In this notice:
(a) "customary food gathering" has the same meaning as defined in the Fisheries (South Island Customary Fishing) Regulations 1999.
(b) "Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki" means the person or persons appointed under Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (South Island Customary Fishing) Regulations 1999 as Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki for a general customary food gathering area/rohe moana and confirmed in clause 4 of this notice.
(c) "the area/rohe moana" means the area from the Shag Rock, South Shore Spit, to Adderley Head, excluding the Avon/Heathcote estuary, and extending seaward to the limit of South Island fisheries waters
3. Nomination of Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki-Te Runanga o Ngai Tahu, being the representative of tangata whenua holding manawhenua manamoana over the area/rohe
moana, has nominated Henry Tamatea Couch as Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki for the area/rohe moana.
4. Appointment of Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki-The Associate Minister of Fisheries, acting under delegated authority from the Minister of Fisheries, hereby confirms
the appointment of Henry Tamatea Couch as Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki for managing customary food gathering for the area/rohe moana. The appointment is for a term of five years commencing the day this notice comes into effect.
5. Power to authorise taking of fisheries resources for customary food gathering-The Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki may authorise any individual to take fisheries resources managed under the Fisheries Acts 1983 and 1996 for customary food gathering purposes from within the whole or any part of the area/rohe moana. No customary food gathering of fisheries resources may take place in the area/rohe moana without authorisation from the Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki.
Dated at Wellington this 10th day of September 2003.
PAREKURA HOROMIA, Associate Minister of Fisheries.