Pursuant to Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (South Island Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998, the Associate Minister for Fisheries hereby gives the following notice.
N o t i c e
1. Title and commencement-(1) This notice may be cited as the Fisheries (South Island Customary Fishing) Notice (No. 41) 2003.
(2) This notice shall come into effect the day after the date of its notification in the New Zealand Gazette.
2. Interpretation-In this notice:
(a) "customary food gathering" has the same meaning as defined in the Fisheries (South Island Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998;
(b) "Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki" means the person or persons appointed under Regulation 9 of the Fisheries (South Island Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998 as Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki for a general customary food gathering area/rohe moana and confirmed in clause 4 of this notice;
(c) "the area/rohe moana" means the area bounded by a line commencing at Kai Aroha Ke sands in Paterson Inlet completely around the area of Te Wehe a
Te Wera (The Neck, Stewart Island) to Ka one
a Pukerehu (on the ocean side of the sandspit) to a distance of 300 metres offshore returning to the first mentioned point.
3. Nomination of Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki-Harold
F. Ashwell Whanau, being the tangata whenua holding manawhenua manamoana over the area/rohe moana, have nominated Harold Ashwell, Keith Bradshaw, Peter Dawson, Errol Ryan and Terry Ryan as Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki for the area/rohe moana.
4. Appointment of Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki-
The Associate Minister for Fisheries hereby confirms the appointment of Harold Ashwell, Keith Bradshaw, Peter Dawson, Errol Ryan and Terry Ryan as Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki for managing customary food gathering for the area/rohe moana. The appointment is for a term of five years commencing the day this notice comes into effect.
5. Power to authorise taking of fisheries resources for customary food gathering-The Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki may authorise any individual to take fisheries resources managed under the Fisheries Acts 1983 and 1996 for customary food gathering purposes from within the whole
or any part of the area/rohe moana. No customary food gathering of fisheries resources may take place in the area/rohe moana without authorisation from the Tangata Tiaki/Kaitiaki.
Dated at Wellington this 11th day of August 2003.
PAREKURA HOROMIA, Associate Minister for Fisheries.